No announcement yet.

Valve Reports Steam Linux Usage Fell Further In March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wtf that you call it a failure? First this percentage is BS, they don't survey people on big picture, nor people on stream machines. It's a shame that they sabotage their own counting system and their own OS.

Second, why a failure? I see more and more games coming to Linux, we have vulkan, soon we will see even more Linux adoption with that! There will be so many more opportunity to pierce the market again, why give up now?

Btw I got no survey on Linux, but at least four on my windows machine. Yup, got windows to play PoE from time to time.

Comment

Thing I have had crackling and such issues with PA before, messing with the audio config file and changing a few timing settings that I no longer remember sorted that out for the most part. Also I was quite happy with my 8370E 8 Core except for the lack of PCIe3.0, I hope Zen ends up being a good CPU for AMD!

PS. I moved to a 6Core Intel i7 and was a bit disappointed with the performance gains from a 8370E, it was quite minimal except for PCIe performance (I was running 4k by then so that mattered)

Comment

Not fair. Valve makes us invest in games, support is poor, so we get annoyed and setup a Windows Steam Server to continue playing... Gaben might have been a MS sleeper agent afterall!

Comment

Nar, he just didn't realize how bad the vendor support was when he originally started the whole idea. Its progressing but still Linux is a minefield for new users. PLUS where is witcher3, where is fallout4, where is GTA5 for Linux??? those games will pretty much hold majority of gamers on Windows!

Comment

Lots of negative posts, so I thought I'd write something positive

Out of 150 games I own on Steam, ~120 of them work on Linux. I've probably bought 60 games or more since Steam OS became available. Lots of good titles (I think): Borderlands, Shadow of Mordor, Metro: Last Light, all Valve Titles, Dying Light, Alien Isolation, Descent Underground (!), Civ 5, Spec Ops, Talos, Trine, Transistor, Xcom, tons of awesome indie games.

Have an AMD FX and Nvidia Ti750 in one box, AMD APU in another box, rarely complains. Both machines drive TV displays. Xbox 360 controller and big picture very often, good couch experience. I mean.. I'm just really happy with it I haven't gotten a survey in like 2 yrs though.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Thankfully my social circle is pretty intelligent. I don't have that problem.... I just can't imagine socializing through skype, some people must have no life.
              I lived in 4 countries not counting where I come from by age of 32, can you say same about you? Thought so. And no, most people do use skype. Nothing to do with intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                Typical for Linux users. Spam/cry every site for software but never buy anything.
                Spend over 1000 Euro on games since Steam came out. Please, tell me more about how we, linux users don't pay any money.

Comment

For those having problem with the steam runtime try starting steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=0.

As for pulseaudio while I am not exactly a fan it does work very well *if* you configure it correctly.
                  But in order to do that you need to understand how pulse works and your own workflow.
                  For starters I would try the ArchLinux wiki and their Troubleshooting page:

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

I lived in 4 countries not counting where I come from by age of 32, can you say same about you? Thought so. And no, most people do use skype. Nothing to do with intelligence.
                    I do admit I don't have any wordly experience. I've only lived within the states. And I guess because of that I've never had any problems staying in close touch with friends and family.

Comment

@theriddick

You need to OC the 6 core CPUs, the default speed is pretty low compared to the 4 core consumer ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X