Valve Reports Steam Linux Usage Fell Further In March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
    I gave up on Steam on Linux, since Valve is very clear thet they don't care if it works on GNU/Linux, they only care about SteamOS. Instead of using your system's installed libraries, it downloads the "Steam Runtime", hundreds of megabytes of outdated libraries based on Ubuntu 12.04. That's just bizarre, and causes multitude of issues on up-to-date systems.
    Michael- can you get a comment on this from your valve contacts? Because this seems to be the most common complaint from Linux steam users.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      I would, but skype... YOu ignore this = 0 social life.
      And every now and then really good games on Steam pop up that dont work on ALSA. Pulse is a fucking cancer.
      Thankfully my social circle is pretty intelligent. I don't have that problem.... I just can't imagine socializing through skype, some people must have no life.

Comment

Typical for Linux users. Spam/cry every site for software but never buy anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          Typical for Linux users. Spam/cry every site for software but never buy anything.
          Speak for yourself. You wanna pay for something thats worse than the free alternative? I pay for anything as long as it supports linux and is actually "worth paying for".
          Last edited by totex71; 02 April 2016, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
            That's not true exactly, freedom doesn't have anything to do with cost. IMO as long as it is required for the computer to function it should be open source. But I'll gladly use and pay for commercial software. For me personally that primarily means games because I'm a gamer, but other OSS supporters have a wider range of interests where commercial software is fine.

I've used the commercial NX remote desktop software in the past, because its basis is open source and has perfectly valid commercial usage.

Comment

@debianxfce

Many games that Michael benchmarked hit a CPU limit with a 3 (Turbo 3.5) GHz Intel CPU. Of course with a slower GFX card or a higher resolution it is less likely to hit that limit but the reason why this happens is that at least one thread is at 100 % load. As those games usually are not that extremely CPU limited with Windows you can conclude that for Linux gaming you should use a CPU with fast per core performance and at least 3 cores (one more than needed for Windows, thats why Dual Core comparions are not optimal between W+L). I have got no idea if PD 2 would be faster with Windows as I only played it with Linux and it was fast enough. 10 % just for PA like dimko mentioned is not realistic. You can play everything with AMD CPUs but performance/core/price is most likely worse with AMD compared to Intel i5 and AMD needed Mantle (soon DX12/Vulkan) to sell their CPUs to gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

My machine is fine when pulseaudio is compeletly removed.
                http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/lin...-needs-repair/
                Do not repair pa, kill the project. They have had almost 10 years time to fix the shit.
                Jack Wallen writes 2015 that after configuration pa is not working bueno. Gstreamer, alsa and jackd works without configuration. Gstreamer is used in embedded devices so it is much better software than pa.
                You're comparing totally different software.
                Gstreamer - multimedia framework, designed to decode media files and send them to playback. It has nothing to do with any other software you mention other than using them as output sinks.
                Pulseaudio - sound multiplexer, designed to multiplex X applications playing on Y sound cards, with individual volume control and the ability to switch between sound cards on the fly (internal card, bluetooth headset, USB headset, etc.) it takes input from applications, remixes it to a format understood by hardware and sends it to the driver
                JACK - audio connection kit, it takes input from hardware, passes sound from one application to another or back to the hardware (via a driver). Designed for low latency and professional audio processing.
                ALSA - a driver API, allows direct access to hardware, may block other applications to access the soundcard at the same time if additional software mixing is not enabled (though I think that by now dmix is enabled by default on analogue outputs unless otherwise specified).

Also the article you link to is from 2013.03.03, so it's 3 years old now

Comment

play something and type top to the terminal. Do you see why pa is shit. Last xfce update was over year ago so xfce is more stable than ubuntu beginner desktop. Ubuntu is slow.

So im running pulseaudio for general use, gaming and most of the time using my pc,
                  for bitperfect audio i have audacious set to use my dac directly with alsa.
                  Still i have configured pulse to use higher quality resampling, since it does make a difference in audio quality,
                  my pulse settings are here:
                  Code:
                  enable-remixing = no
                  enable-lfe-remixing = no
                  lfe-crossover-freq = 0
                  resample-method= speex-float-10
                  default-sample-format = float32ne
                  default-sample-rate = 44100
                  alternate-sample-rate = 48000
                  default-sample-channels = 2
                  default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
                  Now im using 8 core AMD FX-8320 cpu, currently running at stock 3.5GHz speed.
                  Playing just youtube in browser i can see pulseaudio going up to 2% of cpu in top, firing up Shadow Warrior and also leaving youtube playing, i can see pulseaudio going up to 9% of cpu in top, considering that i have 800% of cpu to use, where is the problem? What would it give me, if pulse would use a few % less cpu?

Comment

Let's start the comparison after valve pledges to treat Linux as first-class customer.

Comment

play something and type top to the terminal. Do you see why pa is shit. Last xfce update was over year ago so xfce is more stable than ubuntu beginner desktop. Ubuntu is slow.
                      Just tried: fired up Bioshock Infinite, PA eats up less than 1 percent. And audio quality is perfectly fine. Never ever had problems with PA.

About Intel vs AMD processors: sure, Intel isn't cheap, but their processors are much faster. You pay more, you get more. Not a problem at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X