Valve Reports Steam Linux Usage Fell Further In March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Just did so that Payday2 linux version works in one of our pcs. I do not have to use pa or like pa. So it is better not assume anything if you want to look smarter.
    Well, I'm not smart and I came here to be smart and not to look smart, I'm here to learn, any objection?.

I was thinking, why you put so much hate in all of your comments?
    You didn't expected that some people like me raising arguments telling you that your opinion is not fully true?
    What you think about the distros convergence towards pulseaudio, It's a misstep or they are agreeing that is not so bad at all?

Well, for me with little patience and effort everything will work, sorry if I offended you.
    Ps.: It's hard to believe that you are around 40 years old because the way you write...

Comment

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
      I gave up on Steam on Linux, since Valve is very clear thet they don't care if it works on GNU/Linux, they only care about SteamOS. Instead of using your system's installed libraries, it downloads the "Steam Runtime", hundreds of megabytes of outdated libraries based on Ubuntu 12.04. That's just bizarre, and causes multitude of issues on up-to-date systems.
      This is exactly one of the big issues. Many game developers only give you support if you run Ubuntu or SteamOS. Run anything else? you gotta fix it all yourself. Makes no sense they can't target every big distro with an universal installer. Really i don't think Valve know what they are doing to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
        This is exactly one of the big issues. Many game developers only give you support if you run Ubuntu or SteamOS. Run anything else? you gotta fix it all yourself. Makes no sense they can't target every big distro with an universal installer. Really i don't think Valve know what they are doing to be honest.
        Makes perfect sense that they don't have resourses or don't want to waste money on a minority.
        For game(and software) developers I would guess a stable and consistent platform with a big user base is of most interest, and not some fancy pancy random distro with special needs and mad users.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Kano

Try telling someone new to Linux to do that, the thought of using a terminal to resolve the offending files will send them auto rushing back to windows. Now consider the fact that most people have no help on a new install and will simply STOP using Linux when Steam refuses to load up because of this. Linux has probably lost allot of potential users due to this and the driver issues!
          As they should... MS spent decades not developing a good terminal, so really it is their fault.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

ALSA doesn't have a multimedia mixer that can change sinks in realtime like Pulse can. Ever been watching a video and want to change from sound card to headphones? ALSA cannot do that, there's no interface allowing that. In order for ALSA to do that, the *application* must add support explicitly. PulseAudio has its uses.
            Nope, I dont have a laptop. It's very weak excuse for existence of Pulse. And yes, it may have it's uses, no, it's not justified to have it on every disto by default. Alsa works. Pulse only needs to be pulled in when needed, by skype or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              Nope, I dont have a laptop. It's very weak excuse for existence of Pulse. And yes, it may have it's uses, no, it's not justified to have it on every disto by default. Alsa works. Pulse only needs to be pulled in when needed, by skype or something similar.
              IMO people should boycott apps built against PA. Just don't use them and then don't worry about it. PA does have some conveniences, I do use it on my laptop because It makes it easy to get higher volume on those tiny speakers.... But that is not usage where high quality matters.... So for most people they really --shouldn't-- be using PA at all. But for those people that do, oh well, let em'.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostaris View Post
                Makes perfect sense that they don't have resourses or don't want to waste money on a minority.
                For game(and software) developers I would guess a stable and consistent platform with a big user base is of most interest, and not some fancy pancy random distro with special needs and mad users.
                Not really when you have the ability to actually make it work on almost every single distro. Even desura had an universal binary that just worked on every single distro you threw it at. Saying that they can only target ubuntu and steamos is pure bullshit. And a really bad choice imo.

Comment

no problem with PA, using unity/ubuntu and all works without problems, ofc ppl who use xfce or kde have all type of problems , one is too old the other have bugs and bugs and bugs, cinnamon is slow

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    I wonder if people running and buying from wine are inadvertently doing a disservice to Linux by under-representing to game devs how many Linux gamers are out there.
                    Yes and no, I imagine a lot of Linux Steam gamers are in a position like myself, where there are some games that work better in the native Linux Steam client, and others that work better (or only work) in Wine Steam.

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    As long as they run the win32 build of a game, it should count as Windows,
                    You could see them as a potential Linux market, but if they're already happily using the windows build, there is no real incentive to develop Linux games for them..
                    Let's be real, Wine for gaming is a D3D -> OpenGL translation layer, and you don't get that for free.

If all the Steam games functioned correctly in Linux Steam AND Wine Steam, I would use Linux Steam because as a gamer, because I want the best performance. That's the incentive.

That, and modern cross platform game engines make it so easy to target multiple platforms now. Even just a 1% market share is a lot of $ for a big game title.

The other unfortunate aspect of having to bring in Wine, and I hate to say this, but it's adding yet another member to the group of "entities that have to work together to make the game run".

So we have Linux, Mesa, Steam, The Game, and Wine. It's another point of failure.
                    Last edited by wodencafe; 02 April 2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

IMO people should boycott apps built against PA. Just don't use them and then don't worry about it. PA does have some conveniences, I do use it on my laptop because It makes it easy to get higher volume on those tiny speakers.... But that is not usage where high quality matters.... So for most people they really --shouldn't-- be using PA at all. But for those people that do, oh well, let em'.
                      I would, but skype... YOu ignore this = 0 social life.
                      And every now and then really good games on Steam pop up that dont work on ALSA. Pulse is a fucking cancer.

Comment

Working...
                      X