No announcement yet.

Valve Reports Steam Linux Usage Fell Further In March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not entirely surprised. I'd expect Linux patterns to trace the collegiate school year, with Linux-using STEM college students and teachers avoiding gaming to wrap up year-end tasks. (One would also expect a peak in summer under this theory, but this would be suppressed in percentile statistics due to the simultaneous influx of other educational demographics in which Windows gaming is more popular.)

Comment

Originally posted by wodencafe View Post
      The numbers don't include Linux users running Steam on Wine, who would be much more likely to run Linux Steam if there was better Linux game compatibility.
      As long as they run the win32 build of a game, it should count as Windows,
      You could see them as a potential Linux market, but if they're already happily using the windows build, there is no real incentive to develop Linux games for them..

Comment

Since when has Wikipedia been a reliable source?

Comment

Getting a survey in Linux is rare. Last one I got was over 6 months ago.

Valve needs to track the usage when Steam or a game starts and not via some silly opt-in survey. It is hurting Linux adoption and could discourage developers and publishers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
            Since when has Wikipedia been a reliable source?

Since people could read citations.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

My machine is fine when pulseaudio is compeletly removed.
              http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/lin...-needs-repair/
              Do not repair pulseuadio, kill the project. They have had almost 10 years time to fix the shit.
              No, when your machine has problems and most others don't then that is generally a problem with your setup. And when I say most others I mean most. Pulse is in every major distro and it stopped fucking up for most people a very long time ago. You need to check what might be engaging Pulse to the point that it takes up 10% CPU before just blaming pulse because other programs are the root of 99.9% of pulse problems.
              Last edited by SpyroRyder; 02 April 2016, 01:31 AM.

Comment

that would most likely be an expensive resampler.

Comment

I have moved all my gaming from my linux desktop to my alienware steam machine which do not get the survey. So i am at least partly responsible for these declining numbers.Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

No, when your machine has problems and most others don't then that is generally a problem with your setup. And when I say most others I mean most. Pulse is in every major distro and it stopped fucking up for most people a very long time ago. You need to check what might be engaging Pulse to the point that it takes up 10% CPU before just blaming pulse because other programs are the root of 99.9% of pulse problems.
                    Still am having issues with pulse. It's just shit. Should have never been written in first place. Have Asus xonair over 5 years now, probably more like 7 years. One of first pcie sound cards ever working on Linux. STILL ISSUES WITH PULSEAUDIO. And ONLY pulseaudio. ALSA works like charmed. Pulseaudio fails with multi application усаге setup. Until very recently had all sorts of buffer under-runs. I only keep pulse because of Steam and Skype. It should die in a fire, together with it's fanboys. In Russia there is a phrase, 'им ссы в глаза - всё божья росса', which means, piss in their eyes, it still will be a god blessed dew.
                    Over years SO MANY times my friends IRL who tried Linux had problems with Pulseaudio. Talking about adoption of Linux, Pulseaudio doesn't help. And worst thing most popular distros install this plague by default. Uninstalling pulseaudio immediately solved ALL of sound problems.

Comment

I did not buy Payday 2 but with i7-3770S and Nvidia GTX 650 Ti i had no performance issues while testing with autodetected settings @ 1920x1200, vsync off. I see no problem with Pulseaudio, since Steam is out all Kanotix ISO images use it by default and for most cases it just works. AMD CPUs could be a bit slow for Linux games if there is a hidden shader conversation done on the fly on one thread but Pulseaudio?!

I only got a sound issue with Killing Floor lately because of the shipped "openal.so". Some games do that stupid thing - they link against the wrong lib name and ship outdated versions. The fix is more or less always like
                      Code:
                      [COLOR=#AB383B]ln -fs /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libopenal.so.1 ~/.steam/root/steamapps/common/KillingFloor/System/openal.so[/COLOR]
                      Last edited by Kano; 02 April 2016, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X