Ubuntu's User-Space Ported To Run On Windows 10 By Canonical/Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

The joys of X11 technology means that using XMing or XWin32 completely solves this issue on Windows. Oh wait... you mean that Wayland / Mir doesn't have this functionality from the late 80s? That's too bad! *snigger*.
    Irony is that when one uses wine, they do not have to care if it graphic program or not. But windows users have to pay attention, lol. When it comes to Linux and other open OSes it isn't big deal if it going to be Mir, Wayland of Xorg. At the end of day, toolkit lib would render stuff and figure out how to draw it in particular system. That's the whole point of things like GTK or Qt, to relieve app devs from doing it themselves. Some programs are using X directly, but it usually results in bizarre appearance which is not in line with OS theming and somesuch. So only few strange humans are using such programs. Most Linux programs do not really care how underlying toolkit would do drawing. Same for SDL programs & OpenGL.

Windows... okay, its just too slow moving these days. Neither they support all ARM boards & mobile devices around, nor they can afford to rebuild apps for different display server, nor they've got some real cross-platform toolkit which can abstract OS specific stuff from app design. What a bunch of dinosaurs, living in WinAPI@x86-32 world. They always insisted world only consists of this. Now it is Microsoft's time to face the results. Yeah, they fucked up WinRT so great - WinAPI@x86-32 devs just miserably failed to port their apps, dooming this pointless platform to oblivion
    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 31 March 2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's quite the reason why Canonical does it: MS would develop it either way, with or without Canonical. So disagreement makes no sense — being agreed they at least making a money.
      Mark Shuttleworth is quite sneaky guy who is good in making advantage out of any situation. Good thing about him is he is aware what the Debian is and how opensource development works. So while Canonical is a company, their working processes are widly different from what M$ does. Now M$ does quite some ads of Ubuntu to devs, and I guess it would make devs curious what is this thing. Techies & advanced users would mostly like what they see, and these are quite good to get on board.

Comment

• This is very good, this will accelerate the spread of Linux exponentially! A large amount of windows users will want to learn this port, as more software is enabled by it for windows and ultimately the previously oblivious to Linux will do the switch. A huge day for Linux!

Alright, that was shitty writing but this will expose more ppl to Linux and, you dont have to convince anyone too hard to do the switch nowadays.

Torvalds once said "I dont care how you use the technology, as long as you use it"

As soon as some find out what theyre using they will be like "why didnt bill cash gates tell me about this software?"

trust me, Microsofts years are finite, this will only accelerate the masses finding out about linux. Celebrate!!!
        Last edited by AdamOne; 31 March 2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
          Yeah, they fucked up WinRT so great - WinAPI@x86-32 devs just miserably failed to port their apps
          Agreed they messed up with WinRT but it wasn't because developers failed to port their apps. They instead simply did not want to rewrite their software entirely for a completely different (and locked down) platform (WinRT). The majority of software ran just fine when recompiled and run on a "cracked" and jailbroken device exposing the proper Windows API.

This is what annoys me about Microsoft's complete mess of Windows RT. Microsoft should have just given us the damn ARM compiler and a normal version of Windows compiled to run on ARM hardware. The great thing about C is 99.9% of it works fine whatever processor it runs on.

Windows RT != Windows on ARM.
          Windows RT == Utter locked down piece of time wasting rubbish

I think Microsoft would have been in a much better position today if they hadn't tried to lock everything down copying off Apple. Twits. Opening up to Linux they seem to be on the right direction now at least

Comment

• They'll buy Canonical soon or later.

Comment

That's incorrect. Windows RT is Windows on ARM. It is a normal version of Windows compiled to run on ARM hardware, just the DRM bits are set to Microsoft-only. As you wrote, jailbroken Windows RT devices have been demonstrated to run .NET and Win32-ARM executables just fine.

Also, WinRT != Windows RT.

Comment

• Microsoft is still going for control of the platform.

They haven't changed, please don't trust them.
                Their recent (quite agressive) "upgrade to Windows 10" policy proves that also.

Open source running on their kernel will still give control to them (and their coorporate or government "clients").

Comment

• Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  They'll buy Canonical soon or later.
                  Why would they? It's not like Canonical has talented developers or anything. They usually feast off Red Hat and other parties' software, apply an ugly theme and tell the world they invented it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

A fractal model of the conscious universe that integrates leading-edge science and math with traditional spiritual principles.

Behavior can be defined mathematically, if you consider it to be a geometric shape. All behavior. It's simply the facts of the universe. At this point MS has a 100% success rate at repeating their behavioral patterns. They represent a perfect fractal.

Did you just quote a spirit science nut? Please tell me you don't actually believe in that nonsense.

Comment

Agreed they messed up with WinRT but it wasn't because developers failed to port their apps.
                      I've seen how windows devs are "porting" their code to AMD64, it hardly worked much better than that. These guys just lack any notion of portability alltogether. These days, there are still quite few 64-bit programs under windows. Most Windows programs are set in stone being WinAPI @ x86-32. Furthermore, many of them are dead or poorly maintained and nobody is going to rewrite them. If compatibility with these is lost, whole value of windows goes null, it isn't anyhow better than other OSes, but other OSes could offer better licensing terms, less poisonous ecosystem and far better, modern, efficient development practices. Something MS ecosystem can't afford due to being proprietary to the very core (erm, kernel). Those proprietary dinosaurs are boring leftovers from XX century.

They instead simply did not want to rewrite their software entirely for a completely different (and locked down) platform (WinRT). The majority of software ran just fine when recompiled and run on a "cracked" and jailbroken device exposing the proper Windows API.
                      It so nice I'm not MS dev so I do not have to deal with this insanity. I have all-open OS on reasonable terms, plenty of software for all occasions, so I can just rock-n-roll in opensource ways, without being caught here and there in moronic proprietary obstacles. I can do this shiny Internet Of Things stuff here and now. Let's see if windows nuts can pose me a serious competition. Come on, superb devs with your superb proprietary tools, let's see what your superb tools and superb proprietary systems are worth of. I would see what my tools are worth of, I'm not very bad at it and going to improve it a lot for sure.

This is what annoys me about Microsoft's complete mess of Windows RT. Microsoft should have just given us the damn ARM compiler and a normal version of Windows compiled to run on ARM hardware. The great thing about C is 99.9% of it works fine whatever processor it runs on.
                      FYI, I have idea what WinAPI is and I'm able to admin windows up to ~win2008 as Enterprise Admin of AD. But I've eventually got idea windows is heading troublesome direction of locked down ecosystems and puts way too much handicaps on me. But these times are long over and I do not have to care about what MS does.

Actually, I can do everything I do today on x86 PC on, say, ARM board, or something like this. I do not have to care if it going to be x86 or not. Granted Intel chosen exceptionally nasty road, it is very good for me.

Windows RT == Utter locked down piece of time wasting rubbish
                      It seems MS is going to lock down whole PC ecosystems. Drivers signatures arrived first. UEFI "secure" boot followed, so people are forced to "trust" some bunch of treacherous wrenches, just because they could lock them out otherwise. Neat. Then Intel has secured it further with "boot guard" thing, to ensure people can't replace BIOS/UEFI thing and escape their jail. Nice. Now MS is all about appstores and wannabe-like-apple sort of things, and preview of what is really coming up could be seen on Windows Phones. Seems they are also going to lock down desktops as well. There is some pitfall though. Consumers are better off with tablets and phones, and those who are using computers to create some stuff and do development and someuch aren't exactly good with locked down ecosystems. It thwarts their activity way too much. So I think MS is going to play very nice prank on themselves, screwing PC ecosystem while to the date they aren't a major player when it comes to phones or tablets.

I think Microsoft would have been in a much better position today if they hadn't tried to lock everything down copying off Apple. Twits. Opening up to Linux they seem to be on the right direction now at least
                      Speaking for myself, life has taught me to have my own path, independent from Microsoft. Independence isn't a formal badge, like MS does it mumbling about ISVs. It is all about ability not to give a fuck what MS and somesuch do, lol
                      Last edited by SystemCrasher; 06 April 2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X