Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      And what next? Make all users use that specific distro, Because 'it just works' on their distro and refuse support for all other general purpose distros?
      No need to refuse or drop support, anyone continue to have freedom to use preferred Distro...but there are many, in Windows camp, that don't want go to Linux because it's perceived "complexity"....it would be desirable to have to those, even simpler to use Distros.

Comment

Yet Another Distro? Sounds rather pointless thing to do. To the date, all Linux expertise of Nvidia has achieved project manager aka Linus Torvalds swinging his middle finger and yelling "fuck you" and "worst company ever". Are we supposed to take nvidia seriously granted such a fancy facts? Not to mention nvidia is utterly proprietary minded and depending on Linux from nvidia isn't much better than depending on windows from Microsoft. So from user's point of view there going to be quite some pain due to learning some custom distro, troublesome upstream and so on, but what is the gain? Of course, one can get sources of GPLed parts, but nvidia has shown us level of cooperation to expect, etc. So one should be really insane to use this thing from nvidia. E.g. I doubt someone is going to support programs for nvidia's distro, and nvidia itself isn't exactly great at it. Some specialized distro for console/htpc? Okay, maybe, but so far "nvidia shield" and somesuch are hardly major success, etc.
        Last edited by SystemCrasher; 16 March 2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

If true then it's epic news, at that point we'll have not only Valve's SteamOS endorsing linux for gaming but also Nvidia's thingy to endorse it. This move actually would make sense for Nvidia; in the name of their Shield product.

I would love to try it out. Also in a way this makes just about as much sense for Nvidia as Clear Linux makes sense for Intel.

Comment

It sounds like 10 Linux game stations in the house and no PS4/XBox One.

Comment

If done right, this would just be a supplementatary repo to debian. They could then maintain their own debian packages.

I already ran into the issue of debian unstable not having new enough drivers to boot my GFX970 machines (because a NVidia in a patch release of a stable branch of drivers suddenly marked it as unsupported and requiring the lastest driver).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                This is definitely weird, though in retrospect, it isn't that surprising. Nvidia is notorious for stubbornly doing things their own way regardless of what everyone else wants. Tthe Linux community has always pressured nvidia to do things "the Linux way", where if they did it would make life easy for everyone (except maybe nvidia?). But, since Linux is open source but nvidia's software isn't, to me, it makes sense that nvidia can create their own distro and customize it to work entirely the way they think is best. And honestly, it might turn out pretty good. If they do custom kernels, it could really have a significant performance boost.
                And yet, these notorious guys are the only ones offering performance that's on par with Windows.

Comment

If it reduces the amount of desktop refresh bugs, why not. I highly doubt it's true, though.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    The amount of idiocy in this thread is staggering.

First of all, NVIDIA's Linux distribution won't be substantially faster than distribution X/Y/Z because most distros are already well optimized. The most they can squeeze will be 3% performance extra by using -Ofast -mtune=generic but that will substantially reduce the stability of their offer.
                    Uh oh! Look out everyone, birdie's laying down the law!

Had it not occurred to you that there is more to performance than just measured frame rates? Look at the Catalyst divers - they may yield high numbers but the frame rates are visibly less smooth than the radeon drivers. You could also consider things like screen tearing, % of system resources used, and optimized scheduling.

Originally posted by bug
                    And yet, these notorious guys are the only ones offering performance that's on par with Windows.
                    True, which is why I said this distro could actually turn out good. The thing about nvidia is even though they're arrogant, they're very rarely wrong about their decisions to achieve the best performance.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 17 March 2016, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Sounds like more less a rumor. .... but I could see Nvidia doing a respin (not a fork) of sorts based on SteamOS, just with skinned up Nvidia centric marketing material as to showcase *the power of Geforce* blah blah blah.

Comment

Working...
                      X