Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Deprecating fglrx (Catalyst) In 16.04 LTS

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Deprecating fglrx (Catalyst) In 16.04 LTS

Ubuntu developers have deprecated the fglrx / Catalyst Linux display stack for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Users of this upcoming Ubuntu release are now encouraged to use the open-source Radeon display stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Morons.... Linux progresses while going back in time. Next version: support for opengl 2.0.
    What are you talking about?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Finally. I hope this is the end of fglrx. Amd don,t put out support for x1,18, or new kernels.Great day

Comment

Now if we only could have OpenGL 4.3 at least...

Comment

No, you can't just download fglrx and hope to be able to use it, since it doesn't support xserver 1.18 which entered xenial yesterday..

Comment

Morons.... Linux progresses while going back in time. Next version: support for opengl 2.0.
            go to troll elsewhere

Comment

Considering all the pain fglrx brings to everyone this is very smart choice. I hope Ubuntu devs will follow up with pledge to update Mesa, LLVM and kernel so AMD graphics cards users can get descent support down the line (especially regarding AMDGPU driver and RadeonSI mesa improvements). I believe they will do so as Ubuntu have flexed their rules about updating LTS quite a bit. Also considering that flgrx is planned to be marked as legacy by AMD themselves in year's time (and thus moving to AMDGPU with shared kernel driver and binary Vulkan driver), it just makes sense to do that for LTS.

Comment

what a poor decision

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                  Now if we only could have OpenGL 4.3 at least...
                  4.3 for RadeonSI will happen in this year's time definitely (compute shaders work is already arriving for Nouveau). Will 16.04 LTS will be upgraded to it - highly likely, considering it might not require LLVM and kernel upgrade.

Comment

I've been using the open source drivers on all my AMD graphics cards since 2013. According to glxinfo on my laptop, we are very far away from OpenGL 2, and have been for years.

Code:
                    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.1)
                    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.1.2
                    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10

Comment

Working...
                    X