Ubuntu Is Deprecating fglrx (Catalyst) In 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post
    This will bring AMD even lower on Linux market share...
    From my recent experiences the open source driver is far to be optimal in performance and features.

Don't get me wrong it is still very good for desktop and most gamers, but for big gamers the ROI is bad.
    Now I hope AMD will pump up their OSS team and come back in the race, NVidia is now the only rational choice and I do not like the lack of competition.

I have always been a big fan of AMD but they have gone downhill on Linux FGLRX drivers for long and I guess Torvalds will need to do what he did to nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
      Exec=env LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libasound.so.2' DISPLAY=:0 steam
      or if you want to click on a desktop shortcut add this as the to be executed command (at least on kde5 that is):

Code:
      LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libasound.so.2 '${LD_PRELOAD} /usr/bin/steam %U
      a smart distro package manager could implement this as oss drivers are in use, or does he? I wonder why I still have to do this myself. There must be a way to check which drivers are in use. In ubuntu you evene have this checkbox to switch drivers. There also is a detection mechanism in it.
      The other solution would be for the steam-package to check the system gcc-version and act accordingly.
      Last edited by tomtomme; 10 March 2016, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

or if you want to click on a desktop shortcut add this as the to be executed command (at least on kde5 that is):

Code:
        LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libasound.so.2 '${LD_PRELOAD} /usr/bin/steam %U
        a smart distro package manager could implement this as oss drivers are in use, or does he? I wonder why I still have to do this myself. There must be a way to check which drivers are in use. In ubuntu you evene have this checkbox to switch drivers. There also is a detection mechanism in it.
        The other solution would be for the steam-package to check the system gcc-version and act accordingly.
        Not sure what you mean by "if you want to click on a desktop shortcut". That's the way I actually did add it to my .desktop file.
        I don't think the libgcc one is necessary, btw. Instead of preloading libxcb I've chosen to hardwire the xorg display. But otherwise our commands are pretty much identical.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
          I have always been a big fan of AMD but they have gone downhill on Linux FGLRX drivers for long and I guess Torvalds will need to do what he did to nvidia.
          And how exactly will the hasteful presentation of his middle finger bring about change?

Comment

Why on gods green earth do we have so many amd opensource projects, shouldn't they just pull their resources?

Comment

And how exactly will the hasteful presentation of his middle finger bring about change?
              NVidia's marketshare has increased on Linux.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "if you want to click on a desktop shortcut". That's the way I actually did add it to my .desktop file.
                I don't think the libgcc one is necessary, btw. Instead of preloading libxcb I've chosen to hardwire the xorg display. But otherwise our commands are pretty much identical.
                ah ok then. I thought your command would only work from a terminal. thx for the infos

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

NVidia's marketshare has increased on Linux.
                  Well. In that case, I'd like Linus to kindly show the middle finger to all my projects.

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

ah ok then. I thought your command would only work from a terminal. thx for the infos
                  You're very welcome! At least on my machine there is one game that is still screwed up, btw. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 would launch once (after pressing the "play" button like 20 or 30 times. Not sure what happened there) but never again. I solved this by replacing the plugin folder of it with the one found in Among the Sleep (theoretically, any other Unity3D game should work just as well. Provided it's being maintained and constantly updated).

Comment

It didn't. But it was great entertainment! =p

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

They are slow and full of unneeded network server stuff. Even former red hat poetterising linux guy recommends custom kernels.
                      https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar...Optimizations/
                      "Don't use debug kernels. Debug kernels are slow. Fedora exclusively uses debug kernels during the development phase of each release"

Benchmarks against stock kernels are not exactly throwing them to the weeds but yes, memory footprint improves but we are talking systems today with 16gb average. Liquorix kernel for instance didn't really set it on fire http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...uorix_32&num=2
                      Last edited by linuxforall; 10 March 2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X