No announcement yet.

Microsoft Launches SQL Server For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice thing with Microsoft SQL Server is support for data masking. You can enable data masking for a column or certain columns contains PII data.
    So you can mask phone numbers, IP addresses, email addresses, etc.

Example
    555-*
    *@example.com
    john@*.com
    127.0.0.*

I would really love to see Visual Studio ported to Linux though. No, not VS Online, the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

People still use Skype?
      It's one of the handful of solutions that can do video calls on pretty much any platform you can think of. The other one that I can name otoh is Hangouts.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I would really love to see Visual Studio ported to Linux though. No, not VS Online, the real deal.
        Ditto.

While I'm perfectly fine with my current combo of gedit for quick edits, vi for new files/larger updates and VSCode for XML, JSON and markdown, I wouldn't mind a full blown Visual Studio + the MSBuild infrastructure. Particularly now that they purchased Xamarin.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
          Basically Microsoft is abandoning Windows for servers and focusing windows for mobile & desktop.
          Nailed it !

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
            What they trying to accomplished?
            I believe they're starting to brace for the possibility of many people not adapting to use their Windows 10. I mean for me at least, the price for Windows 10 (all my data and information) is worth way too much more to me than what they're trying to sell me (for "free")

Microsoft is dead to me, it died with Windows 10. I only started to use linux because I saw microsoft was beginning to go down a dark path with Windows 8, but never did I suspect they'd sink this fucking low.

But yeah officially I guess microsoft is probably planning to stop developing windows server, so no windows server 10 (good thing; and good call).

Although to be ironic here, remember the talk about Windows 7 and 8 pestering you to switch over to 10 to the point of forcefully downloading it and starting the installation for you?

Well as it turns out, an administrator buddy of mine said it is doing this on Windows Server as well; I'm wondering if that too is microsoft purposely driving admins away from Windows Server... Or if Microsoft were just being dumb fucks. Hard to tell.
            Last edited by rabcor; 08 March 2016, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Hell froze!!! what next? dx12 for linux ??

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                There's Active Directory, Hyper-V (2016 will have Docker as well), Storage Spaces, iSCSI target with multipath, SMB, DPM, Terminal Server, failover clustering and a horde of other goodies.
                large list of 'me too' features, available on linux since long ago

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberax View Post
                  Try using Oracle's tools. Or IBM's. MSSQL is light-years ahead (but of course, you can misuse it just like everything else).

And Postgres ops/dev tools doesn't suck, they simply don't really exist.
                  i have no experience with database tools, but i have experience with developer tools. so i'm pretty sure mssql is light-years ahead just like visual studio is light-years ahead. i.e. not really. like at all

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    That doesn't mean that vim is a better IDE than Visual Studio.
                    but eclipse is
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    You can have an opinion that the MS tools aren't worth the money
                    well, it is a fact. free eclipse is superior to enterprisest edition of vs

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      lol, i had same thoughts when i saw vs on channel9. but then few years first-hand experience with it cured me.

Comment

Working...
                      X