Microsoft Launches SQL Server For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
    The idea of having to buy licenses for a database product is pretty foreign to most developers and businesses.
    Ah, no. Maybe for more lightweight systems, but in my line of work, it's basically Oracle or SQL Server. Our customers won't even consider anything else, regardless of the quality of options like Postgres, or the amount of money they might save. Though it's a moot point, because databases aren't commodity when your business logic is mostly written in stored procedures, and much of the SQL uses database-specific syntax because it predates ANSI joins...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberax View Post
      Lots of people. MSSQL Server is the most developer-friendly SQL server with the best tools available. It's very easy to use and it's quite powerful.
      Not from what I hear from my co-workers who deal with it every day - they reckon it's a nightmare to work with. Nevertheless, it *is* a very popular option because it's the 'native' option for anyone working in the Microsoft ecosystem - C#, .NET, Visual Studio, Azure, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Not from what I hear from my co-workers who deal with it every day - they reckon it's a nightmare to work with. Nevertheless, it *is* a very popular option because it's the 'native' option for anyone working in the Microsoft ecosystem - C#, .NET, Visual Studio, Azure, etc.
        Try using Oracle's tools. Or IBM's. MSSQL is light-years ahead (but of course, you can misuse it just like everything else).

And Postgres ops/dev tools doesn't suck, they simply don't really exist.

Comment

So hell has frozen over? But wait, meanwhile MS is still going to lock down PCs to turn Win10 and xbox into same thing. As the result, it seems PC is going to turn into locked down xbox-like device, where users are locked out and have to obey very nasty DRM/secureboos schemes, like it happens on xbox. These concerns were raised by some gamedevs, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberax View Post
            Try using Oracle's tools. Or IBM's. MSSQL is light-years ahead (but of course, you can misuse it just like everything else).

And Postgres ops/dev tools doesn't suck, they simply don't really exist.
            MS devs (or maybe they are just marketing guys?) are all the same: shitload of loud buzzwords about superb devtools and ... utter lack of products showcasing us how these superb devtools turn into superb products.

Somehow, ReactOS devs used superb MS VS. Linus Torvalds has used text-mode editor. The result is: Torvalds wrote working kernel capable of supporting his development in few months. ReactOS still unusable, even for its developers, 17 years later. At the end of day it seems superb devtools do not warrant superb products, and we yet to see anything noteworthy using MS SQL, lol. When it comes to e.g. web and amazing startups, MSSQL isn't there, as well as windows stuff. Virtually all amazing, life-changing things were created WITHOUT microsoft and their "superb" tools. Take that, grandmasters of marketing bullshit.

So, e.g. virtually all web services we consider "light years ahead of competitors" ... are not using MS SQL. Isn't it funny? MS only manages to sell their proprietary trash to stupid corporate managers, who buy fancy graphs, but have no idea of development processes alltogether. Needless to say it plays poor joke: at the end of day they are getting mediocre/outdated results and boilerplate software comes on really awful terms. Not to mention MS never gives a fuck what would happen to those using their products and tools.
            Last edited by SystemCrasher; 08 March 2016, 01:35 AM.

Comment

There is a lot of corporate software, erp, crm, mdm etc that depend on MSSQL unfortunately. I have a dedicated win2k12r2 VM with MSSQL2014 on it to support a bunch of these. The idea of moving this onto one of my SLES12 VMs in the future is quite intriguing and I welcome it. Would I prefer that these products allow for mysql or postgres, definitely, but that's generally unlikely in many cases so this is the next best thing.

Comment

Not sure what their goal is there. It's not like there aren't enough databases on Linux, is it.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                  Somehow, ReactOS devs used superb MS VS. Linus Torvalds has used text-mode editor. The result is: Torvalds wrote working kernel capable of supporting his development in few months. ReactOS still unusable, even for its developers, 17 years later.
                  That doesn't mean that vim is a better IDE than Visual Studio. It just means that tools aren't everything. Linux is what it is because of the community that has been built around it.

You can have an opinion that the MS tools aren't worth the money, and you can certainly argue that large segments of users don't need them (web services are super simple, for example), but you just sound ignorant if you argue that they truly aren't any better than what you get with Postgresql. They're competing with Oracle for business, not MySQL. It's a completely different market. And if you think that market doesn't exist or has no reason to exist, you are simply wrong.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 08 March 2016, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                    So hell has frozen over? But wait, meanwhile MS is still going to lock down PCs to turn Win10 and xbox into same thing. As the result, it seems PC is going to turn into locked down xbox-like device, where users are locked out and have to obey very nasty DRM/secureboos schemes, like it happens on xbox. These concerns were raised by some gamedevs, btw.
                    Enters a thread about enterprise databases, somehow manages to talk about gaming consoles and end-user appliances...

I reckon you're in dire need of a new, functioning brain. Have you tried craigslist?

Somehow, ReactOS devs used superb MS VS. Linus Torvalds has used text-mode editor. The result is: Torvalds wrote working kernel capable of supporting his development in few months. ReactOS still unusable, even for its developers, 17 years later.
                    LOLWHAT? Somehow the choice of an IDE defines your level of skill now? You sure are a lousy script kiddie, aren't you...

Never mind that Torvalds wrote a kernel (a kernel. Not a whole OS) from scratch. ReactOS is an attempt to reverse engineer not just the Windows NT kernel but also half a dozen of APIs and services.

I can write you a fresh new IDE in an hour (tops). Reverse engineering Visual Studio would be a whole lot tougher. Particularly when wanting to retain compatibility and the overall UX.

EDIT: As for a product outlining MS SQL's capabilities. Umm. EVE Online.
                    Last edited by unixfan2001; 08 March 2016, 05:33 AM.

Comment

This is great. I would love to move our windows MSSQL service (for a specific software app) into our debian VM.

Comment

Working...
                      X