X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

These are all generic advantages of Linux, but when it comes to gaming, reality is somewhat different. Steam and the games themselves are proprietary binary only software and I see no reason to believe that the Linux builds would be less laden with spyware than the Windows versions. They are generally less well supported and less frequently updated than on Windows. As for rebooting... well, when playing Metro Redux on Linux, I unfortunately reboot quite a lot, courtesy of the universally broken gpu drivers (it got a lot better with Mesa 11.x though, but there is still a very long way to go). So as much as I hate to admit it, I currently see no advantages to Linux over Windows *as a gaming platform*.
    I do not really share your opinion, I find Steam on Linux a complete and simple way to play. (but I only use blob drivers and LTS distros, so I may not experience so many bugs)

On the pure gaming point of view, Windows is the clear winner on all sides, but looking more globally: for simple management and time saved I really do prefer Linux, even if the game list is shorter.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

I would add : no antivirus, antispyware, antimalware
    and more generally : automatic management and updates
    These are all generic advantages of Linux, but when it comes to gaming, reality is somewhat different. Steam and the games themselves are proprietary binary only software and I see no reason to believe that the Linux builds would be less laden with spyware than the Windows versions. They are generally less well supported and less frequently updated than on Windows. As for rebooting... well, when playing Metro Redux on Linux, I unfortunately reboot quite a lot, courtesy of the universally broken gpu drivers (it got a lot better with Mesa 11.x though, but there is still a very long way to go). So as much as I hate to admit it, I currently see no advantages to Linux over Windows *as a gaming platform*.

It may change thanks to Vulkan, since Linux seems set to have first class support from the start. Even so, what Linux would desperately need would be some popular and highly desirable game as an exclusive. This doesn't necrssarily mean a big-budget "AAA" title. But currently, playing on Linux means essentially that you will see no difference with Windows.... if you are we very lucky. That makes it a non-starter.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    1 the only thing that could make that statistics go up would been the steam machines, and they dont count like some people.

At least in this short time period nobody will "switch" to linux by installing it manualy.

If I have a working windows 8 machine... wth would I know make me the work on that machine and switch it to linux?

When first dx12 games come out I could not have or my windows break, maybe I consider it to install but till then of course not. And I am very keen with linux. A normal desktop user is not, and he will never install any os, not even windows on his machine. Most windows users never have installed windows on their machine.

Pre installed systems is the only way to grow noticable in market share, and if the survey dont messure steam machines... its completly information free random numbers that have exactly 0 meaning.

Selling numbers of games under different plattforms if that would be messured would be much more interesting, cause people who use steam dont neccesary buy software. Others buy 200 games... so such person is signifantly more interesting than as example me.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post

When the AAA studios are targeting Linux then we'll know that the numbers are viable.

Until then you can call me a troll and people can claim the Steam survey is all a load of false data, etc., etc. Whatever makes you feel better about the facts.
    http://boilingsteam.com/sales-figure...h-linux-ports/

As long as they can keep porting cost low they should be profitable, and those numbers don't include Steam Machines for which we have no figures yet.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisq View Post
    Except that the guys that actually make a living from porting games for linux, like feral, say that they make money.
    When the AAA studios are targeting Linux then we'll know that the numbers are viable.

Until then you can call me a troll and people can claim the Steam survey is all a load of false data, etc., etc. Whatever makes you feel better about the facts.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    I think Valve did mention that the survey doesn't show up in BPM, this basically excludes all the steam machines from the results.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    IMO one of problems is that steam have autostart on windows and its used full day.

Leave a comment:

• Yndoendo
    replied
    Quantity needs to be presented along with percentage. One has to assume rate of Windows gamers is increasing faster than Linux gamers, not end users are shifting back and forth between platforms like smartphones. More interesting is the rate of increase or decrease of quantity, not percent of market shares at the moment. Example; market shares drop to 0.8% yet the rate of increase in the number of Linux gamers, through steam, increased by 50% show more truthful information. Steam surveys shouldn't be used for this calculate but steam client OS identification information, that is sent during usage, tupled with user names.

All my Windows interactions are not visualized. Windows doesn't like when GPT partitions skip a number, took me out for the whole day at work, just because I removed an unneeded partition and re-purposed it for more space else where. No more bare metal Windows for me, including gaming on Windows, will be using QEMU with Virt-IO.

Seems that a lot expected a mass change in Linux gaming overnight. Even Windows gaming was lacking when it first came around and it took yeas for DirectX (Direct3d) to come out so games for the masses could be made.

Linux has and will continue to change the landscape of gaming. Best landscapes all started as pile of dirt being moved around.

Leave a comment:

• Taupi
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
    Yesterday (1 mar 2016) Linux Steam client submitted a survey point from my machine.
    well clearly CHAMPAGNE! I'm daily on native steam, survey comes only when I use wine (only twice a week) XD

I'm really waiting for Galaxy on linux (for gog.com). I really enjoyed galaxy when it was realesed on windows, and I have so many games on gog that I bore to install them when needed. It's also a pity that Humble Bundle doesn't work with gog.com like on the star war bundle today!

Leave a comment:

• Taupi
    replied
    The lol of steam surveys! I play on Lubuntu for one year with native steam (for civ V, Borderland 2, Totalwar MedievalII, L4D2, Xcom, etc.) and with "wined" steam (Mordheim only). I was only asked 2 this year (so two timed sampled) for the survey only when launching "wined" steam (I spend nearly 10% my gameplay time on this one) and guess what? steam recorded that I was on winxp XD. Same situations for my brother and cousin (respectively on Lubuntu and Debian.... but they play far less than me): they were asked for survey on "wined" steam, not when they played on native linux steam.
    So steam survey = bullshit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X