Not Everyone Is Excited About The Raspberry Pi 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yanpas View Post
    Can someone clarify this? If I connect keyboard and flash drive - then keyboard will be able to read anything from flash drive? What's bad with this?
    That's not it. The problem, as far as I understand it - and someone else correct me if I'm wrong - is that the Raspberry Pi networking and USB 2 ports all share the same core `pipeline` for data.

So more concretely, if you have a wired ethernet connection to your Raspberry Pi and a USB flash drive plugged into it, a spike in traffic on the network connection can slow down reads and writes from the flash drive and a big file transfer to or from the flash drive can slow your network traffic speeds.

For little experiments and educational purposes, this doesn't matter. But if you're trying to make a cheap file server in your house, an old desktop from a recycling center will be much more (edit: power hungry) hungry but will offer more consistent 100 megabit ethernet bandwidth and 480 megabit USB 2.0 bandwidth. Of course you'd have to install Linux yourself, no Raspbian.
    Last edited by Michael_S; 01 March 2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

For the types of workloads that are suited to an Raspberry Pi, I'm not sure why anyone would need more than 1 GB of RAM. If your application and/or data set really is that large, you probably shouldn't be looking at Raspberry Pi to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Path of Exile
        PoE = Power over Ethernet

My Nitrogen6x can drive itself + a 10" LCD screen from that.
        Last edited by andreano; 01 March 2016, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yanpas View Post
          Can someone clarify this? If I connect keyboard and flash drive - then keyboard will be able to read anything from flash drive? What's bad with this?
          That is not what it means, USB 2.0 is rated 480Mbps; this is the collective throughout for the entire pi. All the usb ports, wifi, bluetooth, micro SD (i think), and Ethernet all share that limit, thus it is divided among all of them.

Comment

Don`t buy it ! It won't boot without proprietary software: the nonfree bootloader has to load a GPU 'blob' which then initialises the rest of the system functions. The GPU blob is not just firmware: its functions are very similar to a real OS.

Comment

Or maybe people buy raspberry pi instead of odroids because the Raspberry Pi Foundation is a charity !
              Or maybe not, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by bokal View Post
                I buy one for the community and "ecosystem".
                Also because it's powered through USB unlike the O-Droid, has an audio jack, and has a GPU with an opensource driver and open specs.

Hopefully, the next one will have Gigabit Ethernet.
                You can power the C1 and C2 through the USB, FWIW.

Comment

The RPi 3 seems to be a simple upgrade from the RPi 2 but I would prefer native GBit Ethernet, HEVC Main 10, HDMI 2.0 support. The RPi supports VC1 and MPEG2 with codec serials, would like to know if the ODROID C2 supports those. MPEG2 should be no huge deal to decode with Live TV bitrates at 2 GHz, but there are other sources too.

Comment

Originally posted by tenente View Post
                    Or maybe people buy raspberry pi instead of odroids because the Raspberry Pi Foundation is a charity !
                    Or maybe not, who knows.
                    A charity towards the SoC manufacturer? If they really cared about society/learning technology they would not have come up with something based on a blob

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

PoE = Power over Ethernet

My Nitrogen6x can drive itself + a 10" LCD screen from that.
                      I know what he meant, I was making a little fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X