No announcement yet.

Microsoft Buys Out Miguel de Icaza's Xamarin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would anybody use C# for mobile development?

It's like the whole world has lost its mind.

Comment

Many unrelated comments in this thread. Seeing GNOME as a dividing project is one thing (although it's clearly not my opinion, I'd see Ubuntu as much more dividing than this), but stating that Xamarin's buy out is a threat to the community because of some kind of a ghost relationship with GNOME is silly at best.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        maybe my english is not good enough but doesnt mean "the founder" that he ALONE founded gnome, wikipedia says something else.

"GNOME was started on August 15[32] 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena"

so either this Mena is also no on the pay roll of Microsoft or this "gnome is a microsoft" project is clearly the most stupied thing somebody ever said and clearly without any doubts wrong.

Its one thing if you hate a project for its features but at least try to be somewhat fair, and dont just produce fud.
        one of the reasons Canonical made Unity instead of using Gnome

Comment

These comments are quite good in explaining really stupid commentary Phoronix gets sometimes regarding GNOME/RedHat stuff. I mean it is like Trump's voter's level of ignorance here. Mono has been NOT related to GNOME for incredible long time now. I thought that this fake rivalry between KDE and GNOME is done for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
            These comments are quite good in explaining really stupid commentary Phoronix gets sometimes regarding GNOME/RedHat stuff. I mean it is like Trump's voter's level of ignorance here. Mono has been NOT related to GNOME for incredible long time now. I thought that this fake rivalry between KDE and GNOME is done for good.
            I guess irony is lost on some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
              I've been using MonoDevelop for 3 years on linux. So well, I'm screwed now.
              In what regard are you screwed? MonoDevelop isn't ceasing existence. If anything, it will probably be developed more efficiently now.
              You can always switch off the new, improved dark theme Microsoft is, undoubtedly, making standard on its releases (I suspect they will, to match the default of Visual Studio Code).

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Why would anybody use C# for mobile development?

It's like the whole world has lost its mind.
              It appears you're largely the only one to have lost their mind. C# absolutely rocks for mobile development. As do Javascript/Coffeescript/Nativescript.
              Not everyone has the time to completely rewrite their entire application for another platform. The APIs found in there largely aid in supporting a specific platform's featureset.
              Plus, C# is a pretty well documented and easy to understand language that finds wide use, thanks to projects like Xamarin, Mono and Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                Not everyone has the time to completely rewrite their entire application for another platform.
                No, but some people are paid to do this

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                The APIs found in there largely aid in supporting a specific platform's featureset..
                This is the main reason why people don't use C# or Xamarin for cross platform applications, it is an error prone, slow and painful process to write you own managed bindings for a platform specific feature. For this reason, C# developers rarely venture outside of the VM and inbuilt libraries into the really cool stuff. You see this a lot with Unity developers. Many of the games are... well... kinda basic :/.

That said, Java and C# have their place for writing internal business applications, where almost no native platform specific capability is needed. I guess this is Microsoft's main territory too.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 25 February 2016, 07:18 AM.

Comment

De Icaza is a moron. He was the head of development of the Linux Desktop because Gnome was the most popular. Then he started saying that Mac OS X is good and that Linux is a mess.

Who created the mess you fucking idiot?

De Icaza had switched to Mac OS X, I don't know what he is using now.

Last edited by zuxun; 25 February 2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    The tin foilers have a bad case on Gnome. Mono never took off on Gnome. Instead Red Hat flexed its muscles and added strong safeguards to keep everything copyleft. Gnome3 was a nice way to boot Mono.

The tin foilers have a much stronger case on KDE founder Matthias Ettrich who have been on the payroll for companies who make a living on selling license and patent agreements. KDE has no safeguards against license and patent trolls. KDE even signed agreements with Employers of Matthias Ettrich to help get rid of as much copyleft as possible.
                    Source?

Comment

Originally posted by zuxun View Post
                      De Icaza is a moron. He was the head of development of the Linux Desktop because Gnome was the most popular. Then he started saying that Mac OS X is good and that Linux is a mess.

Who created the mess you fucking idiot?
                      I'm sure Miguel has more brain cells in his foot than you do in your head.

People are allowed to move on. Miguel got more interested in Mono than GNOME. He attempted to make Mono a fundamental part of the GNOME desktop, however the GNOME developers decided on a different course. He hasn't had anything to do with GNOME for a very long time.

Reminds me of that story about the founder of MySpace having a Facebook profile. People aren't commited to their opinions or allignments from 15 years ago.

"Computing-wise that three week vacation turned out to be very relaxing. Machine would suspend and resume without problem, WiFi just worked, audio did not stop working, I spent three weeks without having to recompile the kernel to adjust this or that, nor fighting the video drivers, or deal with the bizarre and random speed degradation that my ThinkPad suffered. While I missed the comprehensive Linux toolchain and userland, I did not miss having to chase the proper package for my current version of Linux, or beg someone to package something. Binaries just worked."

Can't blame the guy for getting annoyed at constantly having to fight the system. It's a lot better these days but it still has a way to go. If you choose to deal with these issues, good on you - I do because I prefer Linux! However people can choose convenience too, it's their choice and it doesn't criminalise someone who should be respected for having been a massive force for good in the Linux scene in the past.
                      Last edited by Iksf; 25 February 2016, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X