Microsoft Buys Out Miguel de Icaza's Xamarin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

You're really clinging on that tinfoil hat... De Icaza and Gnome parted ways long time ago.
    How exactly is it tinfoil territory?

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post

Even if that's the case, if Ximian's tools gain more traction then I'd say its pretty inevitable that that GTK at the least will be under their sphere of influence to a degree. I'm not necessarily saying that is a bad thing.
      Ximian's focus has always been C# mobile and game development and proprietary tooling around it. No connection whatsoever to GTK. I am not sure what influence you think they have. Feel free to explain your thinking here.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Ximian's focus has always been C# mobile and game development and proprietary tooling around it. No connection whatsoever to GTK. I am not sure what influence you think they have. Feel free to explain your thinking here.
        GTK#?

Comment

GTK#?
          Developed by Mono Project as binding library for GTK. No different than say Vala, Python to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Developed by Mono Project as binding library for GTK. No different than say Vala, Python to name a few.
            Yet has been used by Xamanin developers (e.g. https://github.com/Clancey/Canvas). I really don’t get all this apprehension and/or denial.
            Last edited by danielnez1; 24 February 2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

maybe my english is not good enough but doesnt mean "the founder" that he ALONE founded gnome, wikipedia says something else.

"GNOME was started on August 15[32] 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena"

so either this Mena is also no on the pay roll of Microsoft or this "gnome is a microsoft" project is clearly the most stupied thing somebody ever said and clearly without any doubts wrong.

Its one thing if you hate a project for its features but at least try to be somewhat fair, and dont just produce fud.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                maybe my english is not good enough but doesnt mean "the founder" that he ALONE founded gnome, wikipedia says something else.

"GNOME was started on August 15[32] 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena"

so either this Mena is also no on the pay roll of Microsoft or this "gnome is a microsoft" project is clearly the most stupied thing somebody ever said and clearly without any doubts wrong.

Its one thing if you hate a project for its features but at least try to be somewhat fair, and dont just produce fud.
                Not at all. The reality is that a GNOME "aligned/associated” or whatever company has been purchased by Microsoft. For some that would be an oxymoron, but in reality, without the backing of commercial companies (like Red Hat, SUSE etc.) such projects would not not be sustainable.

It will be ironic to see opponents of such open-source technologies such as Qt (which to be fair had had historic licensing issues) suddenly tolerate/deny/embrace the "antithesis" of open-source software.
                Last edited by danielnez1; 24 February 2016, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Adding to this, GTK# is also pretty much dead. It hasn't seen any new releases in years and the "stable" version is still based on GTK2, or the version that ended development over 4 years ago. GTK#-3.0 is still not considered stable and released.

Comment

Not at all. The reality is that a GNOME "aligned/associated” or whatever company has been purchased by Microsoft. For some that would be an oxymoron, but in reality, without the backing of commercial companies (like Red Hat, SUSE etc.) such projects would not not be sustainable.

It will be ironic to see opponents of such open-source technologies such as Qt (which to be fair had had historic licensing issues) suddenly tolerate/deny/embrace the "antithesis" of open-source software.
                    Xamarin is not aligned neither associated with Gnome. The Mono project was (years ago) focus on Gnome. But since gnome-developers striped off any Mono dependencies, this project focuses on iOS and mobile development.

Comment

I've been using MonoDevelop for 3 years on linux. So well, I'm screwed now.

Comment

Working...
                      X