No announcement yet.

Microsoft Buys Out Miguel de Icaza's Xamarin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting times indeed. I wonder if Microsoft will to challenge Red Hat's dominance over GNOME/GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kushan View Post
      I'm pretty sure Microsoft will just open-source the entire codebase. It doesn't make sense to have the .net Framework and .net core open source, but not the stuff that could sit on top and make it a truly cross-platform environment to be reckoned with.

Microsoft has wanted a "Write once, run anywhere" architecture for a while - Universal Windows Apps, but it's no good if "Run anywhere" means "Run on PC's and like 1% of mobile devices". Xamarin could be the missing piece and that would make .net development one of the most powerful ecosystems to contend with.

All open source, too. Haters gonna hate, but this could be exceptionally good for us all.
      I figured that that was the original point of .NET, but they locked it purely to MS. But now with their 'openning' they really want it on as many OS' possible. Like the other Majors, they want people driven through their app store so people make random thoughtless 1 credit purchases. Something of a large return on investment if the average user buy's a hand full of apps during a Windows version lifecycle. Along with Xbox inetgration and Office, there's certainly money to be made. This would simply be like creating the grassroots that kept MS at the forefront of desktop use in the first place. Dev's, dev's, dev's!
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
        Interesting times indeed. I wonder if Microsoft will to challenge Red Hat's dominance over GNOME/GTK.
        Microsoft did not bought GNOME or GTK, which are still written in C, not Mono.

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
          GNOME, the most successful MS supported divide and conquer move ever accomplished in the world of FLOSS.
          I agree. GoneMe & friends are massive fails for the Free Software ecosystem, trojan horses and great allies for big predators like Microsoft

BRAVE NEW CORPORATE WORLD

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
            GNOME, the most successful MS supported divide and conquer move ever accomplished in the world of FLOSS.
            5 people liked this?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

5 people liked this?

Shits funny, yo.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post

Microsoft did not bought GNOME or GTK, which are still written in C, not Mono.
                Of course they didn't however potentially they will gain a significant amount of influence over the developers, and some of those GNOME/GTK developers will be on Microsoft's payroll. I suppose all of those trolls/shills et al. who scorned Qt's corporate origins can eat their heart out now.

Comment

Of course they didn't however potentially they will gain a significant amount of influence over the developers, and some of those GNOME/GTK developers will be on Microsoft's payroll. I suppose all of those trolls/shills et al. who scorned Qt's corporate origins can eat their heart out now.
                  Nobody who works for Ximian is an active developer in GNOME or GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Nobody who works for Ximian is an active developer in GNOME or GTK.
                    Even if that's the case, if Ximian's tools gain more traction then I'd say its pretty inevitable that that GTK at the least will be under their sphere of influence to a degree. I'm not necessarily saying that is a bad thing.
                    Last edited by danielnez1; 24 February 2016, 08:05 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Even if that's the case, if Ximian's tools gain more traction then I'd say its pretty inevitable that that GTK at the least will be under their sphere of influence to a degree. I'm not necessarily saying that is a bad thing.
                      You're really clinging on that tinfoil hat... De Icaza and Gnome parted ways long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X