No announcement yet.

Microsoft Buys Out Miguel de Icaza's Xamarin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect this to go the way of Skype, never updated, a final stable long term release and then never updated again.

Comment

Gnome was a simple desktop environment that started out with an amazing promise. It hit it's best strides as a desktop OS after SUN poured in millions of dollars of UI testing R&D. When all that work was thrown out to chase the tablet market is when Gnome went downhill. Now it doesn't know what it is. Between Ubuntu trying to knock off OSX's system preferences.app and the tablet UI. Gnome has tried to chase the market and gotten confused. I don't bother with it anymore. XFCE has gotten a bit more bloated, and seems to fill most of the desktop niche that gnome had. But it's not as good as Gnome was.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        Gnome was a simple desktop environment that started out with an amazing promise. It hit it's best strides as a desktop OS after SUN poured in millions of dollars of UI testing R&D. When all that work was thrown out to chase the tablet market is when Gnome went downhill. Now it doesn't know what it is. Between Ubuntu trying to knock off OSX's system preferences.app and the tablet UI. Gnome has tried to chase the market and gotten confused. I don't bother with it anymore. XFCE has gotten a bit more bloated, and seems to fill most of the desktop niche that gnome had. But it's not as good as Gnome was.
        Sorry, what does that have to do with Xamarin?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
          You know Mate exist right? Its actually getting active development, started a port to GTK3, and likely eventually wayland after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Iksf View Post

I'm sure Miguel has more brain cells in his foot than you do in your head.

People are allowed to move on. Miguel got more interested in Mono than GNOME. He attempted to make Mono a fundamental part of the GNOME desktop, however the GNOME developers decided on a different course. He hasn't had anything to do with GNOME for a very long time.

Reminds me of that story about the founder of MySpace having a Facebook profile. People aren't commited to their opinions or allignments from 15 years ago.

"Computing-wise that three week vacation turned out to be very relaxing. Machine would suspend and resume without problem, WiFi just worked, audio did not stop working, I spent three weeks without having to recompile the kernel to adjust this or that, nor fighting the video drivers, or deal with the bizarre and random speed degradation that my ThinkPad suffered. While I missed the comprehensive Linux toolchain and userland, I did not miss having to chase the proper package for my current version of Linux, or beg someone to package something. Binaries just worked."

Can't blame the guy for getting annoyed at constantly having to fight the system. It's a lot better these days but it still has a way to go. If you choose to deal with these issues, good on you - I do because I prefer Linux! However people can choose convenience too, it's their choice and it doesn't criminalise someone who should be respected for having been a massive force for good in the Linux scene in the past.
            Sure he can have his opinion, but its his opinion that people disagree with. And the people that disagree with him can equally have their opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Sure he can have his opinion, but its his opinion that people disagree with. And the people that disagree with him can equally have their opinion.
              zuxun didn't simply disagree with him though. He insinuated that De Icaza was somehow responsible for a broken user experience he himself criticised.
              That's not "having an opinion" or any other form of valid critique but scapegoating. Pure and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                You are a friend of Microsoft -> you get rich. You are a friend of Linux -> you get jack shit.

Miguel chose right. He chose money. Now he's richer than all of you. Microsoft has enough money to buy everyone. They stomp over Linux by buying important people. Next up: Linus Torvalds!
                Lame, even for a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                  You are a friend of Microsoft -> you get rich. You are a friend of Linux -> you get jack shit.

Miguel chose right. He chose money. Now he's richer than all of you. Microsoft has enough money to buy everyone. They stomp over Linux by buying important people. Next up: Linus Torvalds!

So you messure happyness and success only on the numbers of your bank account? how old are you?

btw, I dont know how much Redhat pays senior developers, or how much redhat stakeholders earned without microsoft so far, but "jack shit" is shurly not the amount they earn.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Microsoft Buys Out Miguel de Icaza's Xamarin
                    Icaza always had a tight relationship with Microsoft. Xamarin always operated as basically a Microsoft satellite affiliate. This just formalizes and tightens that arrangement.

It always drove me nuts when people painted Xamarin as some completely neutral and independent party in programming tool wars.

And painting .NET and Mono as open source... It is in some senses, but in many it really isn't. Xamarin's tools are actually very expensive. Many developer tools, even great developer tools are completely free.

And __RoboVM__! That was the best embeddable Java VM for making Java apps run on Android/iOS. Xamarin acquired RoboVM and now Microsoft acquires Xamarin.
                    Last edited by DanLamb; 25 February 2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      Why would anybody use C# for mobile development?

It's like the whole world has lost its mind.
                      Because programmers are hotly opinionated and some love C#. As a pure language, it's nearly identical to Java, of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X