Here Is My Linux 4.5-rc3 Kernel Spin With AMDGPU PowerPlay & CIK Enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Is My Linux 4.5-rc3 Kernel Spin With AMDGPU PowerPlay & CIK Enabled

Phoronix: Here Is My Linux 4.5-rc3 Kernel Spin With AMDGPU PowerPlay & CIK Enabled

With the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA still not enabling the experimental AMDGPU PowerPlay or CIK (Sea Islands / GCN 1.1) support in their kernel builds (although they basically are both off by default at runtime), here is my spin of the newly-released Linux 4.5-rc3 kernel with these features turned on...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know of anything making the driver loading order deterministic such that the radeon driver is always loaded in preference over the amdgpu driver. Unless there is such a thing, distributions can't enable CIK support in amdgpu for now.

Comment

Do any of this options (AMDGPU PowerPlay or CIK (Sea Islands / GCN 1.1)) have influence on work of this mobile graphics processors(Iceland/Topaz Radeon R5 M255 and R7 M260, https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...and-Now-Stable )?

Comment

Is there possibility to use AMDGPU with GCN1.0 chips? Have anyone tried it?

Comment

i wonder if you could maintain - in cooperation with padoka or oibaf for instance - an own PPA for all the stuff you compiled yourself, made compiling choices, kernel configs, etc. Probably much work. but if they are being done anyway, why not..?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
            I don't know of anything making the driver loading order deterministic such that the radeon driver is always loaded in preference over the amdgpu driver. Unless there is such a thing, distributions can't enable CIK support in amdgpu for now.
            I asked this recently on IRC and agd5f's agreed with you though he mentioned the loading order could be handled with a really ugly hack; I guess it says something he didn't even bother describing it further. This cannot be enabled by default, that's for sure

Comment

I have a patch on dri-devel to disable CIK support in the Radeon driver

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                i wonder if you could maintain - in cooperation with padoka or oibaf for instance - an own PPA for all the stuff you compiled yourself, made compiling choices, kernel configs, etc. Probably much work. but if they are being done anyway, why not..?
                Too much effort for something I'm just doing temporarily when I need to, don't have the time/resources for making it consistent or doing other kernel modifications.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Still looking good

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

"you need to blacklist the Radeon DRM driver so it won't load before the AMDGPU DRM driver has a chance to tap the card."

Could anyone help me figure out how to do this on Ubuntu 15.10? I installed the kernel posted and it seems to work fine and I tried to blacklist the radeon driver, however "sudo lshw -c video" still reports that the radeon driver is being used. What could I be doing wrong?

Comment

Working...
                    X