Jono Bacon Thinks About A Hybrid Desktop With GNOME Shell Atop Mac OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    I never said they were popular in financial institutions or service management. They're, however, seeing widespread support amongst developers.
    Of course! You need to buy a Mac if you want to develop for iPhone!! This is exactly the kind of bullshit that free software is trying to get rid of!

What about the ability to run Mac OS X and develop in XCode? While I'm the proud owner of a very powerful Hackintosh Pro myself, most modern laptops can't be convinced to run Mac OS X quite as easily and flawlessly.
    Again, proprietary software does this. If apple don't want you to run his software on unattended platform you are left on your own.

Then there's also social status (see how many developers with old, large and heavy IBM laptops you can spot at Techcrunch Disrupt. I doubt it will be many).
    You mean those web-designers who think to be programmers just because they can set up an internet-fucking-site with crappy copy-pasted javascript?

And I beg to differ that a light body and a high capacity battery are just "technicalities". Developers (at least the ones who use git. Not sure the ones who use CVS/SVN/TFS do. Lest they wouldn't use those centralised relics ) can work from anywhere, including areas without access to their company VPN, a stable network or even a wall socket.
    The hard life of a hypster in countries where starbucks has yet to come...

The first time your laptop's battery dies on you in the middle of your work or you are travelling a distance by foot you'll look into a smaller, lighter device with better battery life.
    Just to make it clear: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/al...ting-notebooks

Freedumb doesn't pay my bills and it's certainly not a guarantee for a superior product.
    So far the FSF has given us a bunch of broken, bloated tools, an even more bloated license and an ever more bloated man in a stupid hat.

It's slowly but steadily becoming the running joke of the software industry, not unlike the flag waving "Freedom fighters" of the American Right. Neither of whom even knows what freedom looks like.
    Than go find your superior product and easy equity in the apple market, making apps for dumb people and founding startups that are doomed to bankruptcy in a couple of years. It's obvious that GNU/Linux just don't cater to you.

Is that why the meat of the GNU/Linux ecosystem is developed by large corporations?
    Seriously, this argument is becoming old and outdated. It might've been true in the beginning but it hasn't been true for almost a decade.
    See, those bloated tools are quite usefull for big corporations and that bloated license make it so that the aforementioned corporations have to cooperate and respect others freedom if they want to effectively use this software.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned brew yet in this thread.

The Missing Package Manager for macOS (or Linux).

It does a good bit of what Jono already suggests. It is a package manager (with package versioning). It handles lots of open source software and can also install binaries (through casks). As a test, I installed Zim, which uses the Gnome libraries and I have a functional GUI application.

Comment

Cape - seems like you have some deep issues.

On that long lasting battery link you posted, take out the entries with extended battery and battery dock. Else I can put connect my laptop to a car battery and get 1 week battery life in anything. What are you left with? 1 - Acer, 2 - MBA, 3 - Chromebook 4 - Surface Book, 5 Asus and MB Pro (1 minute diff). I would say that's not bad. If you start looking at the specs of these machines ... then we have a clear winner (e.g. that acer with longest battery life is pretty much unusable - i especially lol-ed at the 0.3MP camera, you can't even use them for chats, let's not think about graphic apps, music apps or god forbid development, and the chromebooks you can gift them to your worst enemy).

On your rant about macs being 1/2 year behind everyone ... erm, maybe you have a time machine and using future tech, but what i've seen is apple having a sweet relationship with Intel and getting exclusivities - like new Intel CPUs first seen in macs, like that CPU that was only made for apple for the original MB Air and that made Intel develop the entire low-power line that is now in all these *books you love so much, or like thunderbolt that was only on macs for a couple of years.

I don't live in the US, and where i work you can choose what computer you wanna use - laptop or desktop, mac or dell. you see clusters of macs and clusters of windows machines, depending on which department you go to. And no, I am not working in a software development company, we don't do iphone apps here.

And also maybe you can show me some tool to develop Gnome apps on my windows machine, since you're all about free software and hate that you gotta have a mac to code for iphone. Tell me how you can code for linux from windows. Or by "free software" you just mean "an OS that can run on any machine", and you don't actually talk about "software" at all?

Lastly, have a look at the computer prices. Wow, you can buy a shitbook for 200$. Power to you. Please upgrade that shitbook with same CPU, some SSD and the other specs you find on a macbook. Oh, look at that, they are similarly priced now!

Comment

Cape - seems like you have some deep issues.

On that long lasting battery link you posted, take out the entries with extended battery and battery dock. Else I can put connect my laptop to a car battery and get 1 week battery life in anything. What are you left with? 1 - Acer, 2 - MBA, 3 - Chromebook 4 - Surface Book, 5 Asus and MB Pro (1 minute diff). I would say that's not bad. If you start looking at the specs of these machines ... then we have a clear winner (e.g. that acer with longest battery life is pretty much unusable - i especially lol-ed at the 0.3MP camera, you can't even use them for chats, let's not think about graphic apps, music apps or god forbid development, and the chromebooks you can gift them to your worst enemy).

On your rant about macs being 1/2 year behind everyone ... erm, maybe you have a time machine and using future tech, but what i've seen is apple having a sweet relationship with Intel and getting exclusivities - like new Intel CPUs first seen in macs, like that CPU that was only made for apple for the original MB Air and that made Intel develop the entire low-power line that is now in all these *books you love so much, or like thunderbolt that was only on macs for a couple of years.

I don't live in the US, and where i work you can choose what computer you wanna use - laptop or desktop, mac or dell. you see clusters of macs and clusters of windows machines, depending on which department you go to. And no, I am not working in a software development company, we don't do iphone apps here.

And also maybe you can show me some tool to develop Gnome apps on my windows machine, since you're all about free software and hate that you gotta have a mac to code for iphone. Tell me how you can code for linux from windows. Or by "free software" you just mean "an OS that can run on any machine", and you don't actually talk about "software" at all?

Lastly, have a look at the computer prices. Wow, you can buy a shitbook for 200$. Power to you. Please upgrade that shitbook with same CPU, some SSD and the other specs you find on a macbook. Oh, look at that, they are similarly priced now!

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

I think you're mixing up iOS and OS X there.
            I'm not.
            iOS didn't ever have OpenSSL to begin with.

OpenSSL on Mac is deprecated, as per the Apple documentation.

Did you not read the quote I provided?

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
              Of course! You need to buy a Mac if you want to develop for iPhone!! This is exactly the kind of bullshit that free software is trying to get rid of!
              You don't necessarily need a Mac to develop for iPhone (only to publish the final app) and it's not the only reason devs buy them.

You mean those web-designers who think to be programmers just because they can set up an internet-fucking-site with crappy copy-pasted javascript?
              Utter bollocks!
              I know many fellow developers who use them.
              There are whole frameworks mainly developed on Macbooks.

The hard life of a hypster in countries where starbucks has yet to come...
              Right. Because everyone wants to spend their vacation time in a Starbucks.
              It couldn't possibly be that some of us like traversing the wild and take their devices with them on camping trips.

Hipster is spelled with an "i", btw.

Seriously? The upper echelon on that list is dominated by insanely heavy/bulky laptops with extended batteries, while the rest are Chromebooks or glorified tablets that are only usable to "web-designers who think to be programmers just because they can set up an internet-fucking-site with crappy copy-pasted javascript"(sic).

Than go find your superior product and easy equity in the apple market, making apps for dumb people and founding startups that are doomed to bankruptcy in a couple of years. It's obvious that GNU/Linux just don't cater to you.
              Excuse me?

1. My critique of the GPL has nothing to do with Apple or a dislike of GNU/Linux.
              2. GNU/Linux is more than just a bunch of GPLed, third rate software (thankfully). There is enough room for other licenses on there, even if the core userland is licensed under the GPL.

See, those bloated tools are quite usefull for big corporations and that bloated license make it so that the aforementioned corporations have to cooperate and respect others freedom if they want to effectively use this software.
              The GPL doesn't do that, at all.
              Large corporations will just ignore it on a whim. The GPL only poses a threat to less wealthy companies and mainly annoys developers who want to release software under another license but depend on a GPLed library or code snippet.

Comment

I like the look of Macs, but they are just not for me. Having to get a special non-standard screwdriver just to open the machine is a complete turn-off. And then there's Apple's Broadcom wifi card which uses a proprietary form factor, soldered-down RAM, sealed battery...

To be fair all other mainstream notebooks are starting to go the same say. Acer now solders down their RAM and seals their battery as well for their ultrabooks, along with much of the competition like ASUS and Dell. But at the very least, they all still use standard M.2 wifi cards that I can easily replace if the bundled one is incompatible with the kernel, with the exception on Toshiba, HP, Lenovo and Panasonic with their firmware whitelists.

Comment

Working...
                X