Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Drops Its Autoconf Build System

Phoronix: LLVM Drops Its Autoconf Build System

LLVM/Clang is the latest high-profile project to abandon its Autoconf build system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad they moved to CMake, not because I use it myself, but because Autohell is the worst build system I ever heard of, it's the X11 of build systems.

But learning CMake takes a lot of time because making a cross-platform build is hard because the big 3 OSes live in their own worlds with their own rules and restrictions and you have to test your build on any of them and you're unlikely to generate a cross-platform build OOTB.

Comment

Cmake gets the job done but I wish it didn't have a scripting language that feels like batch.

Comment

scons ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post
          Cmake gets the job done but I wish it didn't have a scripting language that feels like batch.

I feel it's worse than batch frankly. It's one reason I stick to Tup or if I need environment validation, scons. Unfortunately, scons is quite a bit dated now adays...

Comment

autoconf is not build system. it is system for passing parameters to build system.

Comment

I heard good stuff about Google'z Bazel: http://bazel.io/
              But I have not tried it yet, mainly because the projects I work on are mainly Qt projects.

Comment

qmake.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  autoconf is not build system. it is system for passing parameters to build system.
                  It's part of autotools/the GNU Build System. While it's not the build system itself, it's part of it.
                  autoconf generates configuration shellscripts which, when run, generate the Makefile which is then read by make.

Comment

Personally, I like autotools. I've never really understood all the hate directed at it. I find it really quite easy to deploy, and it makes cross-building a breeze. Is it perfect? No. Are other systems easier/faster/less fragile/more portable, sure. All at the same time? In my opinion, no.

Comment

Working...
                    X