Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emacs 25.1 Will Have X Widgets Support

Phoronix: Emacs 25.1 Will Have X Widgets Support

For users of Emacs, the long-maintained XWidget branch that provides support for embedding GTK+ widgets into Emacs, has been merged to master and will be present for Emacs 25.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This can be good to implement maybe color preview in CSS files.
    Or range pickers for integers, or color pickers.

Comment

Any news on when the emacs developers plan to embed the linux kernel into emacs? It seems such a waste not to have it in a text editor...

Comment

More powerful than april's fool : Emacs news!

I loved when Emacs put those crazy doctors and games in, but I do not get it for those GTK items integration.
        Can anyone give me real life use case? (this is not irony, the potential is high but I cannot imagine what to do with that...)

Comment

This is completely insane. You have to love Emacs developers. Now, all they need is a decent editor.

Comment

This is trully great. Combine emacs with sane keymaps and tramp, slime/cider, magit and now GTK and you become an unstoppable programming force

Comment

I could see better viewing of org-mode stuff. as example a todo list with nice tooknig todo/done buttons and stuff like that. Emacs was and is more or less a very flexible and powerful lisp interpreter with some preloaded code as example a editor.

Because its all about custumization that is a nice feature, if you dont want such stuff just dont use it.

and the browser is a good point ewb is a nice idea make the web as easy hackable as emacs is would be nice.

I use as example right now conkeror, which is a ediitor that tries to give you as much emacs power as possible, but even I use exwm I have to use seperate keybindings. I have a js config file, I got rid of the configs of i3wm and stumpwm by switching to exwm, that helped alot (no cascading window switching code not 2 different buffer menues) but browser is still not 100% integrated.

while ewb only text mode is not good enough for me, Id would love to have as example such forum in my newsreader to read/write in there (gnus) my comments somehow but that will not happen. I mean there is shimbun but that was always only for a few sites and even there its outdated. so having a usable browser inside is the next best thing.

I dont think its so much about buttons that you want to press with mouse thats maybe a nice fearue for beginners or a optional aditional feature but at the moment you either can display pure text or a picture not soch vector/web structures mixed with text.

So like the news mention it, its more about webrendering in a graphical way instead of ascii-art.

Comment

By the time Wayland takes over the world you will probably be able to host X Window inside Emacs.

Comment

Who needs a system init when there's Emacs? Emacs standing alone on a Linux Kernel

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    More powerful than april's fool : Emacs news!

I loved when Emacs put those crazy doctors and games in, but I do not get it for those GTK items integration.
                    Can anyone give me real life use case? (this is not irony, the potential is high but I cannot imagine what to do with that...)
                    Here are some ideas.
                    - A document minimap scroll-bar like in Sublime Text
                    - Semantic font size. For example important comments are larger like here https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.mic...5-608706f54a92
                    - Graphic hints in code and in autocomplete lists.
                    - Graph organization of code. For example Code Bubbles and Debugger Canvas.
                    - Using plugins meant for Atom
                    - Live rendering of HTML while editing

Comment

Working...
                    X