X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Why anyone would want to use Office?​
    There, fixed that for ya.

All kidding aside, I agree; particularly ever since 2007, Office just seems to increase much more in size than it does in functionality. Which is sad really because there used to be a time I actually made use of it. Long, long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Linux isn't winning. It's garnering nothing of profits outside of Google's ad machine. Android is slowly eating itself in the smartphone market. Each quarter more vendors are dropping out of the overly saturated, low margin markets. Samsung is losing billion on it. In five years Android will be gone.
      You're delusional. Linux is a Free OS kernel. Google uses it and does make actual profits out of it.

Android have had a steady monopoly of 80 - 85% of the world mobile OS market share for the last 5 years. It built a very solid ecosystem with very few competitors.

Since it's basically the only reasonable choice for OEM it means that some of them eventually fail or drop Android. Overall it's not in favor of Android competitors (Windows Phone market share is in decline at 3.5% after many billions where spent in marketing).

edit:

Last edited by wagaf; 22 December 2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post

You're delusional. Linux is a Free OS kernel. Google uses it and does make actual profits out of it.

Android have had a steady monopoly of 80 - 85% of the world mobile OS market share for the last 5 years. It built a very solid ecosystem with very few competitors.

Since it's basically the only reasonable choice for OEM it means that some of them eventually fail or drop Android. Overall it's not in favor of Android competitors (Windows Phone market share is in decline at 3.5% after many billions where spent in marketing).

edit:
        http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C..._nav_cps_1_cps
        http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C...s_2_2407747011
        If someone built a good desktop environment for linux it could become successful. Like Mac OS X that has freebsd in the core but looks cool on the outside.

Right now linux is usefull only for 5% of the most scientific people. Half of them use windows instead. Linux usage share is 2.5%

You seriously expect a 20 year old university student to use linux for writing an essay? It's too difficult and only msoffice is any good.
        Last edited by zuxun; 22 December 2015, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zuxun View Post
          Linux usage share is 2.5%
          Depends on the device. In servers, depending on the exact metric you're using to measure it with, it ranges from anywhere between 70 to almost 100% marketshare. And I know of literally no router that runs on anything other than the Linux kernel. So, again, it depends on the device.

Only useful for 5% of the most scientific people? I'm finding it quite useful. Does that mean I'm in that 5% group? Awesome. So, what am I researching then? How to best take care of one's wife? Well, it is a life long pursuit, so, maybe.

And, MS Office to write an essay? Pffft... why not simply something like Google Docs or Office 365? It's just an essay, it's not likely to be the target of much hacking. And, well, LibreOffice is actually in a good shape as well. I'd expect the 20 year old student to actually have a brain; as in, the ability to adjust, to demonstrate curiosity and the ability to learn. Not to follow the masses just because, well, the masses... f-it, I got nothing. Who knows why the masses do what they do?

Comment

Computers are considered a science. This is what i meant. The rest of the people simply don't know how to use linux.
            I too am a linux user. You misunderstood what i was talking about.
            Linux is too difficult for the majority of the people. So ubuntu didn't reach 200million

Mac OS X is unix with cool gui. Same thing can be done in linux.

Instead we have kde and gnome. Gnome is a total mess and kde is buggy and not polished. I prefer kde. Unity is a joke.
            I think that a completely new gui should be made. These three projects aren't advancing much. Ubuntu doesn't have the cash to build a complete gui.
            Last edited by zuxun; 22 December 2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Linux is too difficult for the majority of the people.
              Well, some flavors of some distro's are fine and if you help people make those flavors more intuitive for them, even the tech illiterate can use Linux without problems. My parents-in-law are both very tech illiterate but I installed Xubuntu on both their laptops and they're quite content; my father-in-law wanted me to do it because Windows 10 just was too sluggish for his taste and he's more than happy about Xubuntu's performance.

Comment

If someone built a good desktop environment for linux it could become successful. Like Mac OS X that has freebsd in the core but looks cool on the outside.

Right now linux is usefull only for 5% of the most scientific people. Half of them use windows instead. Linux usage share is 2.5%

You seriously expect a 20 year old university student to use linux for writing an essay? It's too difficult and only msoffice is any good.
                Chrome OS is a popular Linux distribution used by millions of ignorant users.

You can access Google Docs or Office Online from a browser on Linux.

edit: scientists use Latex to write essays ;-)
                Last edited by wagaf; 23 December 2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

You misunderstood what i was talking about.
                  Actually, the reality of it is -- you had it backwards; you misinterpreted was I was saying and you sadly did not recognize a spot of sarcasm when it hit you in the face. It's no matter though.

Fact of the matter is -- Linux has come a long way since the dependency-hell era and, from an avid tech-savvy user's perspective, I can spot only 1 thing wrong with the current Linux ecosystem at large -- X(11). That horribly dated display server and protocol really need to be buried and replaced by something a bit more robust and less convoluted.

Comment

Mac OS X is unix with cool gui. Same thing can be done in linux.
                    its been done already, you are delusional gnome is 10 times better than OS X, the current version btw basicly stole every feature 1 to 1 from gnome. But even if you take that for a subjective belive you cant really proove whats better because its no objective matter. even if I would agree (what a absolutly not do) that gnome is minimal behind to apple that would not explain why macosx has 8% and linux maybe 2.5% desktop users. Because at least 90% of the people price is the biggest argument, so having a nearly macosx experience with extremly cheap pcs would win the users.

Why is that the case people are not only cheap they are also lazy, and installing another os is never a option, else people would btw also buy this good working macosx compatible hardware and install macosx. they dont do it, they use the original stuff because its preinstalled.

Another example is Android, its one of the worst OS (I dont talk about the Kernel a Kernel is no OS) I ever had to use only topped by windows 3.11 or dos. It cant be used to do any work its a retard os for grandpas that are to stupid to use keyboards but maybe understand touch, or for phones it makes maybe some sense, still its the most used os.

so you can develop a real garbage of os, if you are cheap/ goood runtimes good prices and its preinstalled, people buy it.

So dont try to mix stupid subjective gnome hate or something in here, you maybe dont like it nice for you, maybe you are right maybe gnome is really not that good, but that is not the reason for linux having 2.5% users.

Comment

​Mark 1000% right in one thing: nothing screws up things more than lack of ambitions. Should you lack ambitions, everything else hardly matters. Your sail set for fail. However, if you're only going up with ambitions and lack everything else, it isn't going to be anyhow better either. Yet, Mark seems to be aware of it and overall he does it quite good. At least no other desktop distros are anyhow popular compared to it. Chrome OS? Hmm, I do not get a point. For consumers there is Android already. Competing own product? Sounds strange. And for those who uses computers for more advanced tasks, both chome OS and Android are useless anyway. And there is one thing which is hard to deny: these days Linux supports shitload of SoCs of all kinds, mostly because of Android I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X