Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Doesn't Look Like Ubuntu Reached Its Goal Of 200 Million Users This Year

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Not exactly Canonical's "Ubuntu for cars", but it actually is an autonomous car whose software runs on Ubuntu:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...f-driving-car/

    Comment


    • #12
      Linux needs:
      - big gaming companies releasing AAA games
      - Office full suite, as that's the de fact standard everywhere, in public and private companies
      - professional software like Photoshop, Illustrator , Autocad

      As long this doesn't happen Linux can not succeed for the mass.
      bulletxt
      Senior Member
      Last edited by bulletxt; 20 December 2015, 02:22 PM.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        That canonical failed I agree, but to take the steamstatistics as a messure of linux users sucks, even if that numbers would be correct (and many claim they never get a survay under linux) it only messures the number of gamers, and that is much much lower than the number of users. logical, because gaming under linux is one of its weak spots. In this statistic as example Windows 10 has a high adoption rate which is way way higher than the normal adoption rate of windows 10 (which is not much higher than windows 7 rate was at that timeframe, which is weak when you know they give it away for free and even force you to upgrade nearly..
        when you read http://blog.elementary.io/post/13488...a-032-released even for gamers number sounds fishy. if small distro like elementary can achieve so many downloads over such short period, how many there are for bigger ones?

        Comment


        • #14
          I switched from Mac OS X to Ubuntu this year and am really loving it. I like Macs very much but I wanted something different - Ubuntu has blown me away and I am enjoying the freedom of Linux. I can't see me changing from Ubuntu anytime soon. It strikes me as a very powerful, stable and user friendly platform.

          Comment


          • #15
            This is what happens when you treat your community like shit, and don't tell the truth. I don't think Canonical/Mark will ever learn it. Ubuntu was a realy great afford a few years ago, but now its totaly ruined...

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              Linux needs:
              - big gaming companies releasing AAA games
              - Office full suite, as that's the de fact standard everywhere, in public and private companies
              - professional software like Photoshop, Illustrator , Autocad

              As long this doesn't happen Linux can not succeed for the mass.
              Well the gaming situation is improving faster than it ever has before thanks to Valve's push. And office options seem to be available, or do you mean Microsoft Office?
              Your last point is the real bummer IMO, professional software. There are no signs that this area is getting any better.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                Linux needs:
                - big gaming companies releasing AAA games
                - Office full suite, as that's the de fact standard everywhere, in public and private companies
                - professional software like Photoshop, Illustrator , Autocad

                As long this doesn't happen Linux can not succeed for the mass.
                Linux needs all of that, but big gaming is rather a niche, a decent office suite is available (LO), and prof software is another niche. I guess, the big mountain to climb is really preinstalls.

                Comment


                • #18
                  I never got the point of using Ubuntu instead of Windows. I mean, what do people want when they leave Windows?
                  - A trustworthy OS? Ubuntu would be the wrong decision then (at least with Unity spyware). Choose Debian instead.
                  - A stable OS? Not exactly an outstanding Ubuntu feature as well. Better choose Debian.
                  - An OS with recent software? Ubuntu doesn't meet this requirement either. Choose Arch or Manjaro instead.
                  - A simple-to-use OS? Unity is not simple-to-use. Better choose something with Xfce, LXDE or Cinnamon. -> Manjaro, Mint

                  Only valid reasons I can think of is
                  - having an OS that "everyone" uses and is therefore well-tested. Then, why didn't you stick to Windows?
                  - not being able to understand English and being dependant on support in your local language (Ubuntu has a big German community)

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                    I never got the point of using Ubuntu instead of Windows. I mean, what do people want when they leave Windows?
                    - A trustworthy OS? Ubuntu would be the wrong decision then (at least with Unity spyware). Choose Debian instead.
                    - A stable OS? Not exactly an outstanding Ubuntu feature as well. Better choose Debian.
                    - An OS with recent software? Ubuntu doesn't meet this requirement either. Choose Arch or Manjaro instead.
                    - A simple-to-use OS? Unity is not simple-to-use. Better choose something with Xfce, LXDE or Cinnamon. -> Manjaro, Mint

                    Only valid reasons I can think of is
                    - having an OS that "everyone" uses and is therefore well-tested. Then, why didn't you stick to Windows?
                    - not being able to understand English and being dependant on support in your local language (Ubuntu has a big German community)
                    Most people don't care about this Unity web search thing. You also have Bing or Google preinstalled with Firefox. It's actually usefull, and if you don't like just disable it. Nothing of a spyware.

                    Ubuntu has some bugs but overall just works out of the box without the need to manually install some drivers etc.

                    Ubuntu is the best supported GNU/Linux distribution by most Free and proprietary projects (Nvidia, Steam, Google etc.), because that's what users and many developers use.
                    It also has the richest collection of community repositories (PPAs) with precompiled packages that just work.

                    I find Unity very simple to use and much more intuitive than outdated gnome2-style desktops or the confusing Gnome 3.

                    Why use it instead of Windows ? On a Yoga Pro 3 for instance, Ubuntu runs many, many times faster and more fluently than Windows. I would install it on most people 350$ cheap windows laptops.
                    Even for games, you won't play big titles on those cheap laptops, and for casual gaming you're better with Steam on Ubuntu for performance.
                    wagaf
                    Senior Member
                    Last edited by wagaf; 20 December 2015, 04:43 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by wagaf View Post
                      Most people don't care about this Unity web search thing. You also have Bing or Google preinstalled with Firefox. It's actually usefull, and if you don't like just disable it. Nothing of a spyware.

                      Ubuntu has some bugs but overall just works out of the box without the need to manually install some drivers etc.

                      Ubuntu is the best supported GNU/Linux distribution by most Free and proprietary projects (Nvidia, Steam, Google etc.), because that's what users and many developers use.
                      It also has the richest collection of community repositories (PPAs) with precompiled packages that just works.

                      I find Unity very simple to use and much more intuitive than outdated gnome2-style desktops or the confusing Gnome 3.

                      unity is the best this days, no need to nothing, it simply work, even my grandmother use it without problem, i hate unity at first this days i love it

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X