Microsoft Made Many Shocking Linux & Open-Source Announcements This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    I'll tell you what, MMOs and mobile games are bigger than what I presume you consider "serious" gaming.
    And, what does one need for an MMO? Well, typically, one needs... a PC. If for no other reason then for the fact most MMOs are quite resource hungry and have very specific peripheral needs. Touch screen MMO? No, TYVM.

By the way, MOBAs are bigger than MMOs; only WoW has any claim to being in the same order of magnitude as LoL, Smite, DOTA(2) as far as playerbase is concerned. Verifiable fact. And, touchscreen MOBAs? No, TYVM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Wait... There's still some idiots believing this bullshit?

Enough said...
      What does that even prove? That traditional AAA gaming isn't "dead"? Sure, but the sales trajectories show that this is no longer a growth market.
      This is in stark contrast to mobile games which make up around 75% of app store revenues (pretty constant share for years). Just put that into perspective with the hockey stick growth of these app stores, and you too will see the writing on the wall.

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
      Touch screen MMO? No, TYVM.

By the way, MOBAs are bigger than MMOs; only WoW has any claim to being in the same order of magnitude as LoL, Smite, DOTA(2) as far as playerbase is concerned. Verifiable fact. And, touchscreen MOBAs? No, TYVM.
      Too bad, because the touchscreen MMO Clash of Clans is bigger than either DOTA or LoL by player count (last report was 29 million CoC daily active users in early 2014 vs. 27 million DAUs most recently published for LoL).

But the new kind of games aren't going to convince many existing gamers. The ageing generation of gamers will mostly continue to play what they are used to. A new generation of gamers will grow up which will use their smartphones for gaming and relegate the gaming PCs and today's consoles to join the Arcade machines and Atari 2600s as interesting historical artifacts.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Too bad, because the touchscreen MMO Clash of Clans is bigger than either DOTA or LoL by player count (last report was 29 million CoC daily active users in early 2014 vs. 27 million DAUs most recently published for LoL).
        And yet, the smallest of those 3 (DOTA) has seen the largest prize pool in eSports history for any single tournament. With only the 2nd largest (LoL) coming anywhere close on that front. Which says a lot about the healthieness of the genre and platform. Which is not to say Clash of Clans isn't an interesting development; hadn't seen it before, mostly because I'm one of those "ageing gamers" you mentioned. Need a bigger screen, more responsive controls and better graphics.. oh, and a good soundtrack. Sure, you could hook your iPad up to a 5.1 surround system but by that time, it's not really a mobile device anymore, more of a keyboardless laptop by that time.

Anyhow, as I mentioned before, I heard similar predictions of laptops completely replacing desktops around, well, actually around this very year and, well, that hasn't happened either. By the time desktop PCs will have completely been replaced, smartphones will actually also have been replaced -- by wearables or even injectables. Because that is where it's truly heading 50 - 100 years from now.

So, you young'uns can have your smartphone/tablet fun and I'll just let history be the final judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          microSShit wants to profit with open source.
          I much prefer MS to profit from open source than from proprietary, locked down, spyware laden closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I much prefer MS to profit from open source than from proprietary, locked down, spyware laden closed source.

Just three words:

Embrace Extend Extinguish

Comment

Originally posted by DUXNEK View Post

Just three words:

Embrace Extend Extinguish

The beautiful truth is that open source, especially of the GPL variety, is basically immune from such tactics. If MS tried that against linux or even openssh, it would hurt no one except MS, and they know that. They may be evil, but they are not stupid.

Comment

Which says a lot about the healthieness of the genre and platform.
                By the time desktop PCs will have completely been replaced,
                The PC and console platforms are all fine and healthy.
                They are just losing their relevance, because mobile has a much bigger growth and userbase.

And PCs won't be replaced completely, they will still be used where they are optimal.

Comment

if they release windoze 10 source then it would be worth to mention

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
                    release windoze 10 source
                    Half of it is (c) NSA, m8.

Comment

Xbox Live, another Microsoft product beating its competition to a bloody pulp really;
                      In US maybe. Fortunately, the rest of the world is not USA.

Comment

Working...
                      X