Microsoft Made Many Shocking Linux & Open-Source Announcements This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Made Many Shocking Linux & Open-Source Announcements This Year

Phoronix: Microsoft Made Many Shocking Linux & Open-Source Announcements This Year

Microsoft in 2015 made many surprising open-source and Linux related announcements. By far 2015 has been the most surprising year watching Microsoft from the Linux space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

microSShit wants to profit with open source.

Comment

Yes these are very interesting changes. However we still miss seeing how MS will secure their market share and income with open source.

Comment

Desperate act of desperate people. m$ will be so irrelevant in 10 years.

Comment

Microsoft is with times, they will stay relevant because they are adapting and embracing change.

I hope to see more open source announcements in the future from Microsoft.

Would be amazing if they ported Visual Studio to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            m$ will be so irrelevant in 10 years.
            I wouldn't be too certain of that; Microsoft has demonstrated the ability to adapt before. And they're still more than relevant in more than one area at the moment. Essentially, the only way Windows is going to lose its dominating position on the desktop PC is if PCs in general just become completely irrelevant, a thing of the past. Which hasn't happened yet but it might, not within the next few years though.

Xbox Live, another Microsoft product beating its competition to a bloody pulp really; if anything, I'm expecting Sony to simply drop out of the console race. PS4 has very little selling points over Xbox One and PSN is vastly inferior to Xbox Live. Microsoft will stick around for at least one more generation. So will Nintendo but Sony, not sure.

No, I'm not a Microsoft fanboy; in fact, the only Microsoft product I use at home is one of their consoles, gave up on Windows some time ago but still, I wouldn't arrange their funeral just yet.

Comment

I could give XBOX One a strike of an ax and get me a PS4 within the next few years.

Anyway, I plan to buy me a Windows 7 OEM over the next few months just to play games that are only available for Windows over the next few months when the new Zen CPU come out. That will be the time to buy a new motherboard for the new socket. If I buy Windows now, it will be tied to my Kaveri-based motherboard and I'll just be throwing my money away for buying a new license for a new motherboard. And NO! DIRECTX 12 is NOT the reason to buy Windows 10. Windows 7 is a fine and dandy OS and I cannot stand flat-looking themes at all. Windows 7 is my last operating system and that's it. My way with OpenGL or the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post

Xbox Live, another Microsoft product beating its competition to a bloody pulp really; if anything, I'm expecting Sony to simply drop out of the console race. PS4 has very little selling points over Xbox One and PSN is vastly inferior to Xbox Live. Microsoft will stick around for at least one more generation. So will Nintendo but Sony, not sure.
                WAHAHA.

The PS4 is outselling the Xbox One almost 2:1. And Sony has a near complete monopoly on the Japanese game studio industry. Well-known Japanese studios like IF, Compile Heart, Nippon Ichi, SEGA, CyberConnect and Konami are producing exclusive after exclusive for the Playstation, and these studios will never port their titles over to the Xbox. And just a month ago Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear Sold fame just announced another PS4 exclusive title in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

WAHAHA.

The PS4 is outselling the Xbox One almost 2:1. And Sony has a near complete monopoly on the Japanese game studio industry. Well-known Japanese studios like IF, Compile Heart, Nippon Ichi, SEGA, CyberConnect and Konami are producing exclusive after exclusive for the Playstation, and these studios will never port their titles over to the Xbox. And just a month ago Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear Sold fame just announced another PS4 exclusive title in the works.
                  Yeah, xbone only sells well in the US, everywhere else ps4 clearly dominates.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
                    ....Xbox Live, another Microsoft product beating its competition to a bloody pulp really; if anything, I'm expecting Sony to simply drop out of the console race. PS4 has very little selling points over Xbox One and PSN is vastly inferior to Xbox Live. Microsoft will stick around for at least one more generation. So will Nintendo but Sony, not sure.

No, I'm not a Microsoft fanboy; in fact, the only Microsoft product I use at home is one of their consoles, gave up on Windows some time ago but still, I wouldn't arrange their funeral just yet.
                    This is just laughable. It doesn't matter how much better XBL is over PSN if nobody is using it, which is the case because the PS4 is wiping the floor with the Xbone this generation (with very good reason).

And do you really think Sony, who is hands down crushing the competition this generation, will in four or five years think "Hey, we have the best selling console this generation and it's making us a craptonne of money, but hey, lots not bother making another, we'll just drop out now"?

Obligatory 'I'm not a Sony fanboy' postscript - The 360 was my favourite console of the last gen. I simply prefer whatever console is best at the time, which is far and away the PS4 this gen, it isn't even close (or even debatable IMO).

Comment

Working...
                    X