The Toshiba Carrizo-Powered Laptop Is Screaming, Literally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Wow, that's ridiculous. Though you should be able to RMA it through the store, if you can't I guess you might as well open it up and fix the problem yourself. It'd be pretty pathetic if you had to resort to that.
    Going to try this afternoon returning the fucking thing.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I had a Satellite E55t-A5320 last year which made the exact same noise. It's a broken fan for sure.

Comment

I do NOT want to sound like an advertisement but I am really pleased with my new Toshiba Port?g? Z30A - Intel i7-4510U, 13.3 " FHD IPS, Intel SSD 512 GB, a magnesium chassis, 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz, Intel HD 4400... no noise, absolutely no noise and it weighs 1.18 kg! I have used it for almost 3 months. I thought that Toshiba are serious enough not to make stupid mistakes (like the one in the reviewed here laptop) though obviously every brand has some weak models.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtigyro View Post
          I do NOT want to sound like an advertisement but I am really pleased with my new Toshiba Port?g? Z30A - Intel i7-4510U, 13.3 " FHD IPS, Intel SSD 512 GB, a magnesium chassis, 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz, Intel HD 4400... no noise, absolutely no noise and it weighs 1.18 kg! I have used it for almost 3 months. I thought that Toshiba are serious enough not to make stupid mistakes (like the one in the reviewed here laptop) though obviously every brand has some weak models.
          Toshiba, much like Dell, HP, Gateway, and Asus, have products of both extremes - either really crappy or very well made. They don't really make anything that's "just ok". Doing a quick google search, that laptop you bought is worth over $1500, so I would hope that it isn't a sad excuse for a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Doing a quick google search, that laptop you bought is worth over $1500, so I would hope that it isn't a sad excuse for a laptop.
            Yes, it is an expensive one. However, I believe the money were well spent (in perspective) - I wanted an ultrabook which was firm and fast enough.
            Last edited by Xtigyro; 03 December 2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Generally speaking, Toshiba screen hinges are made like ass. I had two - a Port?g? R500-S5006V from 2008 and a Satellite E55t-A5320 from 2013. Both had hinges that would break apart pretty quickly. The screen partially disconnected on the R500 and the bottom hinge cover completely fell off on the E55t.

Comment

Originally posted by trashcan86 View Post
                Generally speaking, Toshiba screen hinges are made like ass. I had two - a Port?g? R500-S5006V from 2008 and a Satellite E55t-A5320 from 2013. Both had hinges that would break apart pretty quickly. The screen partially disconnected on the R500 and the bottom hinge cover completely fell off on the E55t.
                I haven't had any issues with the screen hinges so far. I hope it stays this way!
                I searched a bit for the two mentioned by you models and I saw that the second one was a bit heavy. How did happen that the hinges broke by the way? How did you hold the laptop? Any specifics that can be of use not to fall into the same situation?
                Last edited by Xtigyro; 04 December 2015, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trashcan86 View Post
                  I've worked on someone's Toshiba laptop where the hinges ripped right out. It's not so much that the hinges themselves are made poorly, but there's no sturdy structure for the hinges to grab onto via the tiny screws they use, and the plastic frame is thin. It's built fine and will last for as long as you use the laptop, as long as you don't put extra load on the hinges.

The point, is people think picking up their laptop by the LCD is ok, and it's not. The screen hinges should be carrying nothing but the LCD itself.

Comment

I've never picked up my gateway (acer) laptop by the lid--always used bottom. Still, one of the hinges broke, and the fan is going bad. Was (still is) a pretty good laptop for ~$250, though. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X