Developer Claims: "A New, Fast & Unbreakable Encryption Algorithm"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developer Claims: "A New, Fast & Unbreakable Encryption Algorithm"

Phoronix: Developer Claims: "A New, Fast & Unbreakable Encryption Algorithm"

An unheard of independent developer has proclaimed designing a new, fast, and unbreakable encryption algorithm. While he admits to not being a mathematician or cryptoanalyst, he's wanting to get this encryption algorithm in the mainline Linux kernel and distributions...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...akable-Encrypt

Ehm, how about no?

Comment

Embrace yourself for the impact. Negative comments coming!

Comment

Well, if he's no mathematician, he actually doesn't know whether this thing is unbreakable or not.

Comment

he never heard of Schneier's law : https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...eiers_law.html

Comment

*grabs popcorn*
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

If it is not written by Bruce Schneider or Daniel J. Bernstein, then I do not want it!

Comment

As I have very little clue about cryptography I of course cannot judge the algorithm, but it looks a lot like a case of Dunning-Kruger effect.

Anyhow, has it been published in a peer-reviewed cryptography journal yet?

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
                  As I have very little clue about cryptography I of course cannot judge the algorithm, but it looks a lot like a case of Dunning-Kruger effect.
                  I'm not a psychologist but yes, it seems.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by thorgal54 View Post
                    I doubt he's heard of Bruce Schneier.

This is security through obscurity, "Bet you can't figure out what I did!" except the code was posted along with it, so it's more of a logic exercise than a meaningful new form of encryption.

I mean really, this code is just pasted clear-text onto this blog. There's no file, no header, no API, not even a description of how to use it! And this is expected to be merged into the Kernel?

For anyone who's curious, I found this interesting bit in the code sample:
                    Code:
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial]/* UNOPTIMIZED VERSION for BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE FUNCTIONING OF THE ALGORITHM. IT IS NOT USED IN REAL LIFE. USE OPTIMIZED VERSIONS![/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * Encrypts or decrypts InOutBuf[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * KeyBuf is the raw key buffer[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * KeyCheckSum is 8 bit CRC checksum: Used to prevent "Related key attacks". If some bits of the key changes, entire cyphertext changes[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * InOutDataLen is the length of the data to be encrypted or decrypted[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * InOutBuf is the pointer to the data to be encrypted or decrypted[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * Salt(or nonce) is a 4 bytes random number array.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * This logic ensures us this: An original key is created with an original salt value, for example for an online communication[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * for each distinct packet, in the packet header, we can transmit a specific salt value for that packet and we can encrypt it with original key and salt[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * when the receiver receives the packet, decrypts the new salt value with the original salt value of the key and passes that salt value to function,[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] * and decrypts packet body with that salt value. This method prevents "known plaintext" attacks amongst othersZ.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial] */[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                    X