No announcement yet.

Phoronix Readers Are Still Mostly Relying Upon Proprietary Linux GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Readers Are Still Mostly Relying Upon Proprietary Linux GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Phoronix Readers Are Still Mostly Relying Upon Proprietary Linux GPU Drivers

Asked via phoronix on Twitter this weekend was whether you're using the open or closed-source graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll fix that for you: "Phoronix Readers using Twitter Are Still Mostly Relying Upon Proprietary Linux GPU Drivers".

I am using RadeonSI via the Padoka PPA and really positive by the quality and performance of games like Dirt Showdown, Cities Skylines, Portal 1+2, The Stanley Parable etc. even on my lowly old 7750. Though ARK survival is unplayable - but it seems to be very poorly optimized in general.

I will probably upgrade soon to a 285 / 380 now the re-clocking is shaping up.

Comment

What is Twitter?

Comment

Meh, all the hardware in my house runs best on open-source graphics drivers, but to be fair, the newest GPUs I have is a Radeon HD 7850 and Haswell in a laptop.

Originally posted by marek View Post
        What is Twitter?
        It's that thing I have my GNU social instance set to mirror back to

Comment

Hi Marek,

Thank you for all your hard work!

If you could do some magic to make ARK: Survival run a bit better and not crash all the time, my son would be very grateful (The problem may be with the game port though...)

Comment

Nvidia is dominating... So of course this is the case

Comment

I believe that we have a chance to make some AAA games to run faster than Windowz, via Wine right now. I am referring to single thread titles ported from consoles like Final_Fantasy_13. On Windowz they get 20fps with lower than 3ghz processors and only one core used. If we extend Threaded_Optimizations at least to cut the D3D part from the game and first core and paste it to the second core, then the first core will remain for the game engine alone, possibly 2x frame rate. I don't now if NativeD3D+Staging can do this today.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                I'll fix that for you: "Phoronix Readers using Twitter Are Still Mostly Relying Upon Proprietary Linux GPU Drivers".
                No no what you mean is
                "Twitter users who are subscribed to phoronix (none of whom are necessarily even Phoronix readers), are still mostly relying upon proprietary Linux GPU drivers."

Seriously Michael, why are you using Twitter as opposed to just posting the polls on the site and then linking to that page on twitter? Think of the ad revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Think of the ad revenue.
                  LOOOOL
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Seriously Michael, why are you using Twitter as opposed to just posting the polls on the site and then linking to that page on twitter? Think of the ad revenue.
                    Will post poll next weekend on both twitter and forums and look for difference.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X