Fedora KDE Takes A Blow; Fedora 23 KDE Spin Is "Easily The Worst" They've Spun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

I did a fresh install. I find it interesting there are reports some users do not have any problems, while for others its a buggy mess. In any case here some of the problems I recall

Hitting back button in the KDE settings usually resulted in a KCrash
    Volume control on taskbar disappeared
    Upon logging in the desktop appears frozen for a long time
    Taskbar gets messed up with widgets not appearing in proper place
    Adding widget to the desktop resulted in crash
    Dolphin randomly crashes
    KRunner stopped returning results
    Logging out often caused a crash
    Muon software center crashes frequently

This was all within the first 30 - 60 minutes and it did not get any better during the half day I tried to use it. Maybe some users have a higher tolerance to these kinds of bugs, I don't know. I found it pretty frustrating.
    Mine did nearly all those things. But I took three steps. Cleared kde congfigs from .config and .local in home directory. (It REALLY does NOT like old configs) Then fresh install, and after that disabled bluetooth service, as that causes that "desktop appears frozen after logging in" phenomenon.
    And disabled resource hogging baloo service.
    After that it works without issue.

Though as there is some talk about driver issues, I use closed Nvidia drivers.
    Last edited by TiberiusDuval; 02 November 2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
      Kevin is not quitting because of that. Read the article! There's bits about too many KDE packages, lack of time, lack of QML knowledge, Firefox default (affects GNOME too!), etc. Summarizing this as "GNOME-centric" is entirely dishonest representation.
      I see my sarcasm went over your head. My reply was to give a different spin to the claim that "it's like KDE 4.0 again".

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
      I did a fresh install. I find it interesting there are reports some users do not have any problems, while for others its a buggy mess. In any case here some of the problems I recall

Hitting back button in the KDE settings usually resulted in a KCrash
      Volume control on taskbar disappeared
      Upon logging in the desktop appears frozen for a long time
      Taskbar gets messed up with widgets not appearing in proper place
      Adding widget to the desktop resulted in crash
      Dolphin randomly crashes
      KRunner stopped returning results
      Logging out often caused a crash
      Muon software center crashes frequently

This was all within the first 30 - 60 minutes and it did not get any better during the half day I tried to use it. Maybe some users have a higher tolerance to these kinds of bugs, I don't know. I found it pretty frustrating.
      Never had a single one of those issues. Not one. Ever; and I have been using Plasma 5 since 5.2. (Though I don't use Muon, so I can't say much about that.)

Comment

Originally posted by littleowl View Post
        And can you justify on concrete examples why? I use Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS as an end user starting from 1997 (Red Hat 4.2) and Fedora, especially after F20, is a very good product for the workstation, which greatly benefits the from facts that Fedora has plenty of upstream developers in the list of contributors or users (including Linus T.), sponsored infrastructure and some QA team, so the most serious known issues usually get fixed before the release (Go/No Go Meetings).
        You listed the reasons why Fedora is a good base and remix distros like Koroa build on top of that with out of the box MP3 support etc.

Comment

that post of mine was totally OT, I kind of borrowed the topic for my personal frustrations with Fedora sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

LXQt and KDE are buddies:
            http://www.heliocastro.info/?p=221

Exactly... and that's a good thing!

Comment

Working...
            X