No announcement yet.

Fedora KDE Takes A Blow; Fedora 23 KDE Spin Is "Easily The Worst" They've Spun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora KDE Takes A Blow; Fedora 23 KDE Spin Is "Easily The Worst" They've Spun

Phoronix: Fedora KDE Takes A Blow; Fedora 23 KDE Spin Is "Easily The Worst" They've Spun

The Fedora KDE community has been dealt a blow today with one of the co-maintainers of the Fedora KDE packages resigning from those duties along with his roles relating to the Fedora KDE special interest group...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE/Plasma5 is working fine for me on Arch, though I honestly don't really use kmail or akonadi. I guess I might have later versions than in Fedora...

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
      KDE/Plasma5 is working fine for me on Arch, though I honestly don't really use kmail or akonadi. I guess I might have later versions than in Fedora...
      Not really, Kontact as a whole has been stuck in KDE4 because its a huge mess and efforts to port it forward are time consuming since they are replacing the Akonadi SQL server with a flat file backing store for simplicity.

You would be running the same version. I guess Kevin is just dissatisfied with the slow progress on bringing Kontact to Plasma 5.

And I absolutely agree even after 5.4 Plasma is still a pretty buggy mess. Its a beautiful mess, but when a fresh install of Kubuntu 15.10 leaves you with the audio tray icon they added missing after every boot, or how the boot times are still atrocious and the shell can take minutes to actually start, you can have some reasonable gripes about it.

But its also still a free software project, all the 5.x stuff was a big overhaul for efficiencies sake, and progress is being made. It will probably be rock solid around 5.8, and that will be around the time Kubuntu 14.04 really shows its age.

Personally, I don't know why Fedora has a KDE spin still. I think the entire ecosystem is consolidating around Kubuntu for the better. I'd argue for the same reason the Gnome spin of OpenSuse is redundant, since their camp have the opposite paradigm - they are KDE focused with a Gnome spin on the side. There is really no feature add to using the Red Hat distro anymore for an average user, and its a ton of duplicate work. The enthusiast high end nerds are running Arch and managing it themselves, and the average joes are going with Kubuntu I hope overwhelmingly, and only because the vast majority of KDE development today is on Kubuntu-CI and thus it gets the most eyes on it.
      Last edited by zanny; 30 October 2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Yes, please make a pure KDE Fedora spin.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The current state of KDE seems rather sad. GNOME 3.x was still a bit basic in early release such as 3.2, but it was usable and stable. OTOH, KDE 5.x has been in development for quite a while and it's still a buggy mess...

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

Not really, Kontact as a whole has been stuck in KDE4 because its a huge mess and efforts to port it forward are time consuming since they are replacing the Akonadi SQL server with a flat file backing store for simplicity.
            KMail2, KOrganizer, etc. are all ported now, so...?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
              The current state of KDE seems rather sad. GNOME 3.x was still a bit basic in early release such as 3.2, but it was usable and stable. OTOH, KDE 5.x has been in development for quite a while and it's still a buggy mess...
              Indeed - KDE is in bad shape. I found Kubuntu 15.10 unusable. Various things crashed multiple times within the first 30 minutes of trying to use it. I was rather shocked that something that bad is even hinted at being usable.

The sad thing about this is that it's 4.x all over again. Back then they blamed distros for shipping it too early, and here we are with a version number of 5.4, with 2+ years of development and Plasma 5 is an unusable mess - inspite of the assurances given that 4.x wouldn't happen again. I'm sure the 5.x series will eventually improve, but if users have to put up with this every few years what's the point?

I finally just gave up on KDE - Even KDE 4, which I stuck with for a long time, still has annoying quirks and a generally unpolished feel.

Comment

The problem with KDE's shape is that they are understaffed, and yet working with making KDE for mobiles, where even microsoft can't succeed since the train has departed with android and ios on board.

And even if you look at plasma itself, they are way to busy adding features and not so much fixing bugs. Doesn't help with lots of features when the product as a whole is so buggy that people won't use it.

Comment

Sad. Fedora 22 KDE Spin has become really good. But it seems like RH/Fedora are trying to outphase KDE entirely in favor of Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

Indeed - KDE is in bad shape. I found Kubuntu 15.10 unusable. .

I usually find KDE with kubuntu unusable . I rather use Unity, it just works much better . But i usually do have a much better KDE experience with Arch, for some reason . There are some annoying details here and there, but those are just details that can and should be fixed soon . Nothing that would make me quit KDE.

Comment

Working...
                    X