It's Time To Apply For Outreachy Winter 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    Most CLAs forbid anonymous contributions, and Linux has such a CLA.
    Linux and Linus especially care more about the code than they do the people. Even minorities (Torvalds himself being one) are more than capable to contribute to the Linux kernel without any issues whatsoever, and the mailing list hasn't even seen anything crazy in the last few years. The underlying issue is really a lack of interest more than it is people who can contribute

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    Fortunately it does not. Gnome is looking forward to your donations.
    _
    Except that The GNOME Foundation is still pouring money into this, along with companies like Google and the various projects these people are taking (a small) role in. At that, they are restricting access to the program to Women everywhere, and racial minorities in the US excluding Puerto Rico, despite being a US territory and holding a total of 3.7 million people. Yes, The GNOME Foundation is in fact funding this as one of the main sources of income for this project, and not seeing much results

Comment

Fuck women, keep them away from my lawn for as long as they say white hetero carnivore male is bad but white hetero female carnivore is good.

Comment

You know what's amazing to me, I keep reading fucking ENDLESSLY about all these "too many white cis-het in tech" but I pretty much never read about "I was qualified for a job at X tech company and they didn't hire be because I'm a woman/minority/have messed up genitals". Never. But the double-irony here is the people that do by far the most bitching about "discrimination" fall distinctly into two categories every time. 1. An "underprivilaged" currently working at a tech company complaining that there aren't enough people like themselves in tech or 2. a person with zero technical ability complaining about an industry they are not involved nor ever will be in any meaningful way.

And what is with all the buzzword-spouting self-important clich?s that infect every damn forum like the plague now. It's literally impossible to escape the victim olympics any more. I used to think linux was MY "safe-space"...
        Last edited by ParticleBoard; 22 October 2015, 02:25 AM. Reason: got my tumblr buzzwords wrong, can't have that!

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
          You know what's amazing to me, I keep reading fucking ENDLESSLY about all these "too many white cis-het in tech" but I pretty much never read about "I was qualified for a job at X tech company and they didn't hire be because I'm a woman/minority/have messed up genitals". Never.
          I do wonder about the percentages of "groups" who care about, are qualified for and get the job they are after vs those who are rejected. it' not like "white men" always get every job they ever apply for.

I expect that white men are the most likely to get fired...

One silly thing that everyone seems to prefer to ignore or deny is that "underrepresented groups" are simply either a lot smaller, or the individuals are less likely to give a damn about the subject. I understand that people can feel intimidated by the sexist pricks that are out there, or a general lack of "similar" people on a project, but honestly, should people be bribed to work on something they don't otherwise care about? is it sexist to say that, for example, girls are less likely to obsess with cars than boys are?

as far as I'm concerned, society is still trying to grow up. it's a mess, and it's not easy! (why do exclamation marks look like lower case "L"s on my machine? I'm on fedora and firefox.)

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post
            why do exclamation marks look like lower case "L"s on my machine?
            if it makes you feel any better, your upper case "I" look like lower case "L" as well, and your lower case "I" look like inverted exclamation marks

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              I think the point here is that your gender and ethnicity should be irrelevant in this context. All that should matter is how good of a developer you are. Hell, I'd support doing development under pseudonyms that obfuscate your real life identity so you wouldn't even know who you're working with. Building new barriers to replace perceived old ones is never really a solution to any kind of perceived barrier problem.

While Outreachy may be a privately funded, the funds to run the program do come out of money donated for development of the Gnome desktop environment. If it was separately collected I'd have no problems with it whatsoever, but when the funding comes out of money collected for something else I do take issue with it. It basically makes donating money to Gnome development without donating to this impossible.

I could go on about being part of the Swedish speaking minority in Finland (less than 5% of the population and to whom Torvalds also happens to belong to) and how this makes joining groups of people who don't belong to the minority a bit more intimidating, but I will say that it's not a big thing.
              You and everyone from the 18th century.

I bet you have fond memories of women writing under male pen names, in order to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

You and everyone from the 18th century.

I bet you have fond memories of women writing under male pen names, in order to be taken seriously.
                Nobody said anything about using male pen names, and they even went so far as to suggest they abandon any gender identity in titles. But again, all of this means nothing if we have our role models for these groups just stirring up the demons of hell and suggesting that the groups they are trying to represent shouldn't be in the FOSS community at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

The problem is that it could be considered intimidating for someone who isn't a white male to get into the FOSS community, because the FOSS community is staggeringly over-represented by white males
                  We only know their nicknames... are they all "Wh1t3M@l3#123" "Wh1t3M@l3#623" etc???

The only ones who are known publicly are those who search to be known, 99% of FOSS devs are just anonymous and never been seen, how can a non-white non-male be scared of them???

All this is just a ridiculous feminist buzz. Apply who want.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                    Fuck women, keep them away from my lawn for as long as they say white hetero carnivore male is bad but white hetero female carnivore is good.
                    You do realise humans aren't carnivores, right?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

You do realise humans aren't carnivores, right?
                      Haha, humans are close enough. "A carnivore /ˈkɑrnɪvɔər/ meaning 'meat eater' (Latin, caro meaning 'meat' or 'flesh' and vorare meaning 'to devour') is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging."

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore

Comment

Working...
                      X