Red Hat Buys Out Ansible For Around $100M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
    This will get flamed for pages, but I've found Arch linux to be vastly superior to Debian Testing
    And you vastly compare different things, you should compare Debian Sid as base to Arch base... Sid rolls, but Testing wait a bit.

You can also use Siduction distro or something like that on top of Sid and same as some Arch derivate enjoy "be aware of upgrades" technology Well that "be aware of upgrades" distro approach also means "it is not for everybody", that is where Debian Testing came in where users are more on safe side of that
    Last edited by dungeon; 16 October 2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Doesn't Sid freeze every now and then for branching?

Anyway, I prefer Arch to Fedora--seems to me to be more stable. Some very experimental packages hit Fedora sometimes, whereas Arch usually sticks to stable packages unless there is no such thing or it doesn't make sense to (i.e., the "stable" package is woefully out of date).

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
        with Debian Testing you get stuff that's old and stale, but not ancient like Debian Stable. It's the always out of date software in Debian/Ubuntu that finally drove me to Arch.
        Debian comes in three flavors: Rusty, Stale and Broken

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          I may have to try out one of the user friendly versions of Fedora like Korora or Chapeau. I'm getting a bit disillusioned with the various *buntus ( Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint flavors such as KDE Mint and Cinnamon Mint all based on Ubuntu ).

It seems to me that Chapeau and Korora are projects, like Ubuntu is to Debian, to make Fedora easy for n00bs and people like me who are not n00bs but don't don't have time to be phreaks and geeks concerning their Linux set ups.

Plus, it also seems to me that these Fedora spins screw around with Fedora MUCH less than Ubuntu does to Debian. I get the feeling these distros are closer to the "root" of the base Fedora distro than Ubuntu and it's children ever will be. Which, in my mind and in theory, should introduce less problems.

http://chapeaulinux.org/
          I used to exclusively use the *buntu's as well. I haven't cared for Ubuntu so much in recent years, found Lubuntu not to my tastes, but liked Linux Mint quite a bit. I recently switched over to Korora though and I do not regret it at all. The only complaint I have with it so far is that they're still bundling it with the 0.9.10 version of Kdenlive and there aren't any good instructions that include all the Fedora specific dependencies to build MLT and Kdenlive 15.xx from source.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
            Doesn't Sid freeze every now and then for branching?
            Yes It freeze partly temporarely roughly said 1/4 of the stable developing time (say 2 years is cycle, it freeze partially for 6 months) and that just at the end of the cycle for squashing final bugs for next stable.

Of course that freeze is becuase Debian has a ultimate goal to produce stable release, unlike Arch where is not such a goal

Arch is like Debian Sid (sometimes plus experimental because of mentioned freeze). But there is no such thing in Arch officially supported like it is Debian Testing, nor something for workstations like Debian Stable, Old Stable and Stable LTS.
            Last edited by dungeon; 16 October 2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
              The only complaint I have with it so far is that they're still bundling it with the 0.9.10 version of Kdenlive and there aren't any good instructions that include all the Fedora specific dependencies to build MLT and Kdenlive 15.xx from source.
              RPM Fusion is currently under migration of infrastructure hence the lack of updates for some packages.. You can download the source rpm with the following command assuming RPM Fusioni is enabled.
              Code:
              dnf download --source kdenline
              . Check out the documentation about building rpm package

Comment

well i rsynced a antergos partition to another partition and it broke lightdm . If a linux distro cant survive an rsync backup its not worth running on my primary machine . It wont happen to everyone out there but it did for me. I prefer Debian Testing. I do face segfaults in some apps but in general its a whole lot stable than most others. Fedora has started to suck now that the dnf is so painfully slow. If you call Debian Testing stale you should have a new term for Ubuntu's LTS releases.

Comment

Working...
                X