Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Is Going To Buy Out VMware's Parent, EMC

Phoronix: Dell Is Going To Buy Out VMware's Parent, EMC

After rumors were swirling last week that Dell was planning to buy EMC, the parent company of VMWare, for $50 billion USD, today that information was firmed up and the purchase price is actually $67 billion -- making it one of the largest tech deals ever...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...uys-EMC-VMware

Going private was probably one of the best choices Dell has ever made. I'm not sure if buying EMC is the best option for them but I guess whatever grants them leverage over companies like Oracle, IBM, and HP is a good idea. Personally, I never knew EMC owned VMWare, and I'm a little ashamed to not have known that.

Comment

These big deals, when big companies merging usually means, worst product for end user and new layer of problems, with Dell i dont see for example chance of Vmware virtualization on Arm cpus, i also things that Vmware is more Linux liking company that Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
        These big deals, when big companies merging usually means, worst product for end user and new layer of problems, with Dell i dont see for example chance of Vmware virtualization on Arm cpus, i also things that Vmware is more Linux liking company that Dell.
        Dell is the only OEM PC company that I have seen ship PCs and Laptops with Ubuntu as the default OS. Dell is pretty pro-Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

Dell is the only OEM PC company that I have seen ship PCs and Laptops with Ubuntu as the default OS. Dell is pretty pro-Linux.
          HP does as well in Europe. They also employ a few kernel devs. Not nearly as good for us on the other side of the pond, but its something.

I would not call Dell, the company, pretty pro Linux though. While Sputnik is great and it means someone in the higher ups gives a damn, the hardware shipping in the XPS 13 is always extremely Linux hostile and requires that team a ton of work getting drivers and firmware in kernel tree rather than using already known off the shelf components.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            making it one of the largest tech deals ever...
            Not 'one' of the largest. THE largest. By a longshot.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

Not 'one' of the largest. THE largest. By a longshot.

Sorry, but this is not the largest by a longshot. The AOL/Time-Warner merger was $164 Billion in 2000!

Comment

"Here's How Dell Plans to Finance Its Purchase of EMC" (Fortune. 13 Oct. 2015)

Comment

Working...
                X