Systemd 227 Released: "Lots Of New Awesomeness"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About systemd again:

I?t seems that people complaining about systemd has extremely low IQ ( or people with nothing to do ) otherwise you should make a team and create your own linux distro

and sell that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      On other hand, Win10 EULA is not ok. And if gamers fail to understand it, no surprise why gamers are often considered to be stupid. If someone fails to read and agrees with all bullshit written in win10 draconian EULA, they are morons.

Hey, "geek", calm down and learn how to type "Snowden" at least.

QED you therefore conceed your are wrong in fact to propose "Why would you move off Linux if you've got a powerful gaming-standard GPU? Is there anything that you can do on FreeBSD or any other non-Linux *nix system that could use that card?"

As for the typo. Meh! LOL.

Greekgeek :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
        QED you therefore conceed your are wrong in fact to propose "Why would you move off Linux if you've got a powerful gaming-standard GPU?
        Uhm? I do not remember where I've proposed such thing, in first place. Are you sure it was ME? So I do not really get what you're trying to prove and why you think it is "QED".

However, I can admit I have R9 270X GPU on my "primary" desktop and some few HD5xxx and HD67xx on other PCs. These all running Linux, and in fact I can admit I like how R9 270X performs these days in Linux. And older HD5/6K are looking reasonable, too. Not sure if R9 270X counts as hardcore gaming GPU, but to my taste its quite powerful number cruncher and I got idea I like it. And btw, I do not have any windows on my PCs. Because I think their EULA suxx and closed source approach is obsolete and implies numerous pitfalls, ripoffs and limitations. In Windows I can't even report driver bug. In Linux... over time, AMD devs have eliminated virtually all bugs affecting me I've reported here and there. Whatever, I'm kinda impressed how this process performs overall. I think its right way to go.

Is there anything that you can do on FreeBSD or any other non-Linux *nix system that could use that card?"
        Not really sure why you direct this question to me. From what I can see, FreeBSD is bad at graphics. These days they seem to use something like code from Linux kernel 3.8 for AMD GPUs, which is something like 3 years old or so. Even my OpenWRT router runs more recent kernel. Kernel 3.8 does not realy supports GCN-based GPUs and probably lacks many other features. To my taste, FreeBSD project management looks like clusterfuck. I can't imagine better words when it takes 3 years to rip off driver code from Linux kernel and then it completely lacks nouveau part. Needless to say I have zero wish to deal with such projects. I wouldn't consider this mess as my desktop. So why you direct such questions to me? I think Linux development process beats other *nix stuff to the dust. Its not Linux fault they have their project management fucked up while Torvalds proven to be a really remarkable project management guru.

Comment

• Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
          Can anyone recommend how to simply disable journald?
          Simply "man systemd.journald" seems to me to explain the available options well.

As the manpage notes, journald writes its logs to /run/log/journal by default - ie to a tmpfs - presumably with the expectation that permanent logs are recorded by syslogd or similar instead. So worries about "corrupted logs on powerfailure" seem rather irrelevant :-). So do those worries about "non-text logs" - just use the syslogd files instead.

The size of the journald journal file on the tmpfs can be limited, as described in "man journald.conf", with a reasonably sane default of 15% of the /run tmpfs filesystem size.

So, as far as I can see, the defaults selected by the systemd dev team do pretty much what you want - create no persistent logfiles, and don't waste a _large_ amount of memory. In return you get _early boot messages_ in the logfiles, nice lookup options, and similar stuff for messages since last boot - with syslogd or similar for long-term log message storage.

AIUI, journald cannot be completely turned off when using systemd-init. However if you have absolutely no need for journald data (including early-boot messages, correct handling of logging from containers, etc) then AFAICT the logfile size can be reduced to a very small number - meaning one extra process is running, and a small amount of memory used for the tmpfs journal file. Perhaps not perfect for those who don't want journald features, but not the end of the world either.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            to be surprised by huge amount of shitty software one has to not use software at all. and of course not to look at sources. or at least not meet dumbasses like you everywhere.
            some low-level routines below to low-level libraries. but that requires working brain to grasp
            No offense, but I don't think many people understand Palin/McCarthy "English".

All I heard was lemons, bananas, eggsalad.

Comment

Working...
            X