Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Longtime Linux Developer Looks To Distance Himself From The Kernel Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Longtime Linux Developer Looks To Distance Himself From The Kernel Community

Phoronix: Another Longtime Linux Developer Looks To Distance Himself From The Kernel Community

A day after Sarah Sharp formally announced she's stepping away from Linux kernel development due to the arguably toxic community, well known kernel developer Matthew Garrett announced he too is planning to cease his personal contributions to the upstream Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In fact, forget the kernel!

Comment

Just a reminder, and to put this in perspective, Garrett is the same guy who, according to him, LinuxConfAU made it an explicit part of their policy to remind him that he's not supposed to swear or curse during his presentations. This isn't a "someone called me a mean name", this is someone who can take it and he's still saying the attitude of the community is vile and needs to change.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww poor cry babies.

Honestly these offended by everything people are like cancer these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Just a reminder, and to put this in perspective, Garrett is the same guy who, according to him, LinuxConfAU made it an explicit part of their policy to remind him that he's not supposed to swear or curse during his presentations. This isn't a "someone called me a mean name", this is someone who can take it and he's still saying the attitude of the community is vile and needs to change.
          Well... With Matthew Garret, It's more like: "I don't like linux being an autocracy, and getting stuck in stupid arguments because Linus doesn't like something." than "The Linux Kernel Mailing List community is mean." if you really read his blogpost.

Comment

I think it's important to be clear that Garret is more unhappy that linux is autocratic, and as mentioned he has also taken things into his own hands by starting his own tree. I don't think this is the same as Sarah splitting, though I suppose it's related in some ways.

Comment

They should remove that shit called Code of Conflict, because quality is really something relative

Comment

More leftist politically correct cancer.

Comment

Maybe the correct answer is to create a separate Linux Kernel mailing list that only allows write access to people who are approved?

Giving up on the Kernel because one of the mailing lists is full of trolls seems a little excessive...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                    Maybe the correct answer is to create a separate Linux Kernel mailing list that only allows write access to people who are approved?

Giving up on the Kernel because one of the mailing lists is full of trolls seems a little excessive...
                    That wouldn't solve the problem Garret is talking about. He's not giving up "because the mailing list is full of trolls", he's giving up because Torvalds is an opinionated asshole, and blocks and argues over things just because he doesn't like a concept such as BSD securelevels.

Comment

Working...
                    X