Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Longtime Linux Developer Looks To Distance Himself From The Kernel Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good riddance. I find it abhorrent that they want to force a culture change because they're not capable of handling the heat themselves.

I'm not a upstream kernel developer for a reason: Because that culture needs a special kind of hardiness. And I just don't have it [yet]. So I keep myself out of it. But I'm not going to decry the culture, because it was there before I was, and I have no right to force it to acquiesce to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

That wouldn't solve the problem Garret is talking about. He's not giving up "because the mailing list is full of trolls", he's giving up because Torvalds is an opinionated asshole, and blocks and argues over things just because he doesn't like a concept such as BSD securelevels.
      We have a winner. Torvald's is the kid who craps in the sandbox and then demands to know who did it.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        Maybe the correct answer is to create a separate Linux Kernel mailing list that only allows write access to people who are approved?

Giving up on the Kernel because one of the mailing lists is full of trolls seems a little excessive...
        As Luke_Wolf said, that's not really why Garrett left.

But in any event, usually when people think "trolls" they think of people who are interfering with the normal users of a system. On the Linux kernel mailing list, Linus is the chief troll.

Comment

The main thing i wanted to use was the Linux Foundation Loader which he wrote, but he never fixed it. I told him, it does not work with UEFI 2.0 systems, it seemed to require UEFI 2.3 and there was no timeout if somebody could not press a key (due to fastboot). As this never happened Kanotix has still no Secure Boot feature - but at least you can disable Secure Boot on all systems up to now...

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
            More leftist politically correct cancer.
            Sarah and Matthew didn't like how the Linux mailing list is run - though for two different reasons - so they left.

"Politically Correct" people get insulted over something harmless and claim insult from things that don't matter. As far as I can tell, you're the politically incorrect one, not them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
              More leftist politically correct cancer.
              Let's see:

Achievements of the left (et al):

- The PC
              - The internet
              - Freedom of speech
              - The forty hour work week
              - modern art
              - Women’s Voting Rights
              - Bank Deposit Insurance (that's right! "Freedom loving" Conservatives don't mind seeing someone else steal your money)
              - Clean water
              - the USA
              - Free education
              - Science

Achievements of the right (et al. Sadly):

- Irrational hatred
              - Laziness
              - Ignorance
              - uninspiredness
              - global wars
              - nationalism
              - Science denialism
              - Religion

Yes. "Leftism" is the cancer...

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Let's see:

- The PC
                - The internet
                - Freedom of speech
                - modern art
                - Women’s Voting Rights
                - Bank Deposit Insurance (that's right! "Freedom loving" Conservatives don't mind seeing someone else steal your money)
                - Clean water
                - the USA
                - Free education
                - Science

- Irrational hatred
                - Laziness
                - Ignorance
                - uninspiredness
                - global wars
                - nationalism
                - Science denialism
                - Religion

Left doesn't mean everything I like and right doesn't mean everything I dislike, idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Let's see:

- The PC
                  - The internet
                  - Freedom of speech
                  - modern art
                  - Women?s Voting Rights
                  - Clean water
                  - the USA
                  - Free education
                  - Science

- Irrational hatred
                  - Laziness
                  - Ignorance
                  - uninspiredness
                  - global wars
                  - nationalism
                  - Science denialism
                  - Religion

Did the PC and Internet really came from the Left wing? I thought those came from the Industrial Revolution (Capitalism), so right-wing?

Or are you talking about PC as in Political Correctness?

Comment

Aww. That's 2 women we lost now in just a couple days.

Comment

Oh please. Cry me a river.
                      I could not care less. While I do agree that the kernel developers are sadist a-holes at times, no one EVER said that technical discussions with with skilled people is going to be like holding hands and singing kumbaya near a camp fire and everything is going to resonating in uniform harmony.
                      This is pure and utter bullshit. People have opinions. Sometimes people get hurt from not getting their will through. Sometimes people do and suggest stupid things. Not everyone can be pleased and get everything they want through. If that were the case then Linux would be a more utter mess than it already is.
                      Frankly I think that Linus is FAR TO NICE with the shit that comes through at times.
                      It is not a bloody committee in the end. Linux is Linus baby. He started it, he has nurtured it through all these years. In the end, he steers it as he see fit. Don't like it? Well you can always go around coding your own kernel... Hell, use GPL and you can fork it straight of the mainline tree.
                      Once you start taking everything personally it's going to be a utter failure socializing with other humans.

I think everybody should have heated discussions. It shows REAL passion. Get real pissed at each other, cool down and then grab a beer after work.
                      Tough love. People you don't care about you can be nice to all day. Because you don't really care what they think.
                      People you care about you tend to be harsher against, because you just want them to do the right thing or want the right thing for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X