Sarah Sharp Steps Down As Linux Kernel Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalltalker View Post
    This post by Linus from 2013 in the LKML beautifully explains the whole thing: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137392506516022&w=2
    I fully agree with Linus on this one.
    Heh... His take's MINE. I do moderate SOME of my commentary, but in the end, I'm not going to mince words, as you all may have noticed in these forums and maybe elsewhere.

Generally, I'm a nice guy. I just have a *really* low bullshit tolerance. I don't allow ill-thought out notions stand unchallenged if I know better. Linus is no different and if I ever did step up to the plate and full-on maintain a piece of the kernel, I'd expect it out of him- and not be bothered by it.

This stuff with Sarah? It's bullshit, to be blunt. And as someone observed, it was all basically staged. Professional conduct? Define that. In LKML and similar, what Linus is doing is that. In an office, it might be different. If you want that different, perhaps you should contemplate working elsewhere. Linux is where it is precisely because of the kind of conduct that Sarah's "accusing" Linus of. If you're going to work in the space, expect it- and, by God, don't try to "change" it, because you're going to only meet up with tears. It's not a place where you need to "correct" it- and the people WILL break you upon the wheel eventually, or you'll change to meet it as a result.

Comment

You can't take away people's right to be assholes!

Last edited by uid313; 09 October 2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
        he shouldn't be surprised to find his theatre empty.
        I think you need a pair of glasses. Linus managed to create probably most powerful developer community in the world. So his theatre is far from being empty, to say the least. And if Sarah is not happy with something - she is perfectly free to go, create her own community, fork whatever she thinks is cool to chew on and show Torvalds how to do it right. If it would work better, I guess Torvalds will have to admit his mistakes, etc. Sure, mr Torvalds isn't perfect and allows himself rather colorful comments sometimes. Yet he at least looks and acts like alive human with his own personality, not like this boring bunch of Poliically Correct mindless corporate drones converting coffee into the code. Not to mention Politically Correct Crap clashes with freedom of speech.

...and when it comes to results, Sarah's theatre in her blog mostly managed to produce a lot of fart and some drama to the date. Something beyond that is yet to be seen.

Comment

It seems a lot of people are confused about the source of the complaint. She specifically cited "racist and homophobic" comments. I really don't think it's to difficult to criticize someone without making racist and/or homophobic comments. You could get away with that 20 years ago no problem, probably even 10 years ago, but it's hard to find a workplace today where you won't get any push back for that. I'm just sad at the amount of people calling her a "SJW" on here. I hope you're all aware that is an internet term used by people who are not in touch with reality. Would you call someone a social justice warrior in real life if they find your behavior offensive?

The people saying that women and other minorities can't do difficult IT work are the ones that really amaze me. A lot of IT work is being outsource to India and it's a concern for most people that are even marginally aware of the employment situation in the field. So each year there is more work being shifted from white men in the West to Indian women and white guys post comments on forums on the internet that they are uniquely qualified to do the work. There sure are a lot of people on here that are out of touch with reality, but it's not the ones you think.

Comment

Think it's really sad to hear that the Linux community is becoming more hostile to woman. Of course they are still far friendlier then the BSD "community" by a large amount but it's still a step in the wrong direction. I think need to tell back the community and make it equal for woman and I think here at phoronix, I borrowed a powerful hash tag to show that misorgy has no place in the FLOSS community: https://twitter.com/hashtag/killallmen

So I'm introducing this hash tag to this forum: #KillAllMen.

Please use this hash tag generously to show your support for woman.
            Last edited by endman; 10 October 2015, 05:16 PM.

Comment

If Sarah would had succeeded in her coup I would had probably switched to *BSD.

Comment

Hehe is it so hard to admit that this is an actual problem guys? Elitism and bigotry in the linux community, not just among kernel developers/maintainers is old news, it's one of the biggest reasons why many people take a 180 degree turn right back to windowsland after interacting with us. But no troll ever stopped trolling just because they knew they were trolls, did they? I mean I've been in some pretty damn bad communities online (like League of Legends, infamous for it's toxic playerbase and community) but never have I seen it worse than the linux community.

I'm not with Linux because of the community, I merely tolerate the community (ironic, since tolerance is one of the things this community seems to be lacking the most), I just love the OS, I try to stay out of the talks whenever I can restrain myself. But I just had to come in here and laugh at all the denial.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  I'm not with Linux because of the community, I merely tolerate the community (ironic, since tolerance is one of the things this community seems to be lacking the most), I JUST LOVE THE OS, I try to stay out of the talks whenever I can restrain myself. But I just had to come in here and laugh at all the denial.
                  Hopefully you know that its mostly programmers/maintainers/engineers that are allowed within that community, and pretty much the best ones out there, People who work for Intel and Google as an example, Sorry for having to judge you there, But nobody is really asking you to be there, Nor will you be able to if you could, Unless you are a big shot developer for a major corp?

Assuming not, since you believe that the linux kernel (the subject at hand) is an OS as quoted above.

There is an easier way when it comes to professionalism and technical work, for people not to attract aggressive behaviour towards them, Its called "git gud".

Comment

Originally posted by Illasera View Post

Hopefully you know that its mostly programmers/maintainers/engineers that are allowed within that community, and pretty much the best ones out there, People who work for Intel and Google as an example, Sorry for having to judge you there, But nobody is really asking you to be there, Nor will you be able to if you could, Unless you are a big shot developer for a major corp?

Assuming not, since you believe that the linux kernel (the subject at hand) is an OS as quoted above.

There is an easier way when it comes to professionalism and technical work, for people not to attract aggressive behaviour towards them, Its called "git gud".
                    And most of those are rather disgusted by the behaviour of the community, as well.
                    It's private individuals like Linus Torvalds who are allowed to talk like manchilds. Not "big shot developers working for a major corporation".

Comment

• Maintained USB 3.0 XHCI.... Then it's a good thing she is no more doing it - most troubles I have had on servers and laptops lately related to kernel were due to poor USB 3.0 drivers. Hope the situation would change now.

Comment

Working...
                      X