Sarah Sharp Steps Down As Linux Kernel Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post

Is this post intended to be serious or ironic/sarcastic/funny? Your choice of words is even more drastic than what you are criticizing Linus for.
    That was a post written to Linus in the fashion that Linus has sometimes written to others. I would think that you would have accepted this in the same spirit in which you have accepted the way Linus has sometimes communicated his feelings to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
      High quality posts here I see. And see, this is the problem - it seems man people have decided being rude and toxic is cool on Internet. "Calling things in right names", etc. nonsense. It is so easy to be just constructive and not to delve into shitty behavior. Yes, you can be negative about quality of code towards other person without going into sexist jokes or repeating tired memes. I have secret surprise to you - neither of those things has ever been funny. All they have to enforce feeling for you as sexual being, but such jokes are rather sad display if you need them.
      I work in a full women environment, believe me in this environment everyone is 100x more toxic that all "farting fest" I saw before in my past companies.

Women just get things hidden and are always polished in front, socially perfect... but kick everyone in the back.

Frustration, anger etc. must get out, in a man's environment it will be loud, fast and fast forgotten, in a woman's environment it will be more subtile but hidden and in the long run.

Comment

Kernel development is a very very hard job. Criticism is normal and necessary in that job to have the best code. If you cant stand criticism, stay out of it. It's useless to complain.

Comment

I have 3 grown daughters across 2 wives, so I can speak from a perspective that many here can't. One of my daughters recently said to me over lunch that she really appreciated having been able to grow up in a "drama free" home. She was commenting on her dislike of drama in her own workplace, which includes a lot of women. If one knows what a drama free lifestyle and a drama free workplace are like, the drama that some people seem to think is necessary is readily regarded for what it is - useless. Perhaps Ms. Sharp is merely saying the same thing - that the community could do without the drama, being useless as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtch View Post
            Well, I'm a stay at home dad, but I won't take offense. I will say this, though, and it has nothing to do with Linux, or writing code; it is a lot more fun socializing with women than it is with men. A LOT more. And I don't mean hanky panky, either. Women are just a lot more fun to be around, for the most part. Some women aren't, but most are. When there are women in a group which includes men (i.e., not all women) the dynamics are better - healthier. They just are.
            Same is true with women groups. Mixed group is the way.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

Oh come on. I almost completely disagree with Sarah Sharp's assessment of the Linux community. Still, it is perfectly fine to criticise Linus. I don't think Linus' hard-line management style is wrong, but in some cases he clearly stepped over the line. Curiously not in those cases when she got into discussions on the LKML, where she basically feels offended by a stupid nerd basement joke:

Thanks for link, that changes everything...

Funny, I tried to post that link on the comment in her blog, my comment has not be published while others were, and others were censorshipped with "fart"...

I love people crying around and they cant stand the consequences
              Last edited by elect; 06 October 2015, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I fully understand her decision, and I totally support her sentiment.

And this has little to do with her being a woman. I'm a sensitive male and have avoided or left certain online communities for similar reasons. I grew tired of defending my person or others. This is not a problem only for women. Few affected men will admit it. The whole online community suffers from this.
                Last edited by Remdul; 06 October 2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  People should know when a community as important as kernel development is a shitty place to work in for clear minorities like women.
                  It's not really about women or minorities. Everyone in Kernel Development is a minority in one way or another, after all it's an international effort. Trying to make your personal issues somehow a group or discrimination problem is unfair to others who might not feel the same way. Playing the victim on behalf of a whole group is also quite shitty behavior.

Some people just can't deal with the way Linus runs things, and that's fine. Just as much as it's fine that Linus doesn't want to run it like a sterilized, PC, PG13 environment like we see in many large corporations. Why is it always one side that has to be "tolerant"?

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                    High quality posts here I see. And see, this is the problem - it seems man people have decided being rude and toxic is cool on Internet. "Calling things in right names", etc. nonsense. It is so easy to be just constructive and not to delve into shitty behavior. Yes, you can be negative about quality of code towards other person without going into sexist jokes or repeating tired memes. I have secret surprise to you - neither of those things has ever been funny. All they have to enforce feeling for you as sexual being, but such jokes are rather sad display if you need them.
                    Trust me, we are much "worse" in real life. Just because I tell a close friend of mine to "fuck off" whenever he attempts to drag me into shit that would take my time and I have no interest in it doesn't mean that I'm abusing him or being a dick to him. The problem with internet is that it's way easier to cause misunderstandings.
                    So if Linus is talking like "you should have known by now, what the fuck have you been thinking" to a guy he knows for years, it might come out as a abuse to random people on the internet who read those conversations on public mailing lists.
                    And people would be amazed by the kind of banter that goes on in private mailing lists in big corporations, but since it's private, they will never know.

Anyways there is a nice LKML conversation from few years back where linus, sharp and others have this discussion and if people read trough it, sharp comes out as purist while others are literally trying to make jokes about her trying to fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtch View Post
                      Well, I'm a stay at home dad, but I won't take offense. I will say this, though, and it has nothing to do with Linux, or writing code; it is a lot more fun socializing with women than it is with men. A LOT more. And I don't mean hanky panky, either. Women are just a lot more fun to be around, for the most part. Some women aren't, but most are. When there are women in a group which includes men (i.e., not all women) the dynamics are better - healthier. They just are.

Actually, it's a mixed bag that. Like some have said earlier...they have much uglier dynamics under the surface...and you're seeing the surface.

Comment

Working...
                      X