Sarah Sharp Steps Down As Linux Kernel Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
    Would we even care if it was a guy? I'm pretty sure there's been loads of male programmers who have stepped out of kernel development because they didn't like the environment but we can't really name a single one. And the kernel have lived on.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_by_perkele"]management by perkele[/URL].
    Con Kolivas.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
      Good grief, there are some really small minded misogynists who are really threatened by smart women in these forums.
      "Misogynist" is a pretty hefty charge, I don't think it's right to levy that charge without proof or logic to support it. I doubt there are any, or god forbid many, actual haters of women on this forum.

My colleagues who happen to be female appear to be nothing but annoyed and ashamed by selfish whining like this.

Personally I think Sarah is not so bad, given what we've seen: At least she's taking the high road and stepping away to Mesa, another high value project which may well have the tamer and more friendly-sounding mailing list she's looking for. I still appreciate contributions, and I hope she can learn to be more accepting if it helps to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Thanks a pantload Linus. You're turning out to be the Steve Jobs of Linux. Brilliant mind. Radically toxic human being. I understand that you may feel you can't control everyone's conduct on the Linux Kernel forums. But you lead by example....and your example is deplorable.

Man up and admit you need help in controlling this crap. You can. You just won't. Another example of your flawed humanity and management skills. If you can't or won't....find someone who will.

Enough is enough, Linus. Crap or get off the pot and let someone who has the cahones to step in and drain the swamp. And if supposedly "brilliant minds" don't like this and want to leave the Linux Kernel world......well....politely show them the door. The world is CHOCK FULL of brilliant minds and developers. They are a dime a dozen. But you'll never know it because they don't EVEN want to get near the toxic swamp that is Linux development.

Once again, Linus.....man up and clean your house. But first....clean yourself up.

Oh... the irony.

Comment

Boo hoo. Toughen up, princess.

Comment

i'm pretty sure intel will easily find another drama queen to maintain their usb stack

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Linux created Linux and its runs everything in the world, I don't think anyone should criticise him.
              He have done a fantastic work and continues to do so!
              How would Linux be if didn't put his foot down and and just let any patch get accepted?
              The Linux kernel is his life, he have worked on it for over 20 years, he don't want it it polluted with junk code.

Programmers are geeks, and kernel programming is unlike other programming, these people are alpha-geeks.
              They care about code, logic and patterns. Many of em do not posses good social skills.
              It is important that they can stay in a environment where they are accepted and you can look past their blunders so they can do what they do good — develope.
              Do not impose all these codes of conduct on these misfits, it will just chase them away and you will be left with people pleasing, suit-wearing, neck-tie wearing, clean cut, cologne wearing, haircombed developers who don't know anything about programming.
              There isn't a single man working on the Mach Kernel at NeXT and later, the Mach->XNU Kernel at Apple that wouldn't have been out on his ass talking smack to either his male or female colleagues. Making excuses for grown men acting like juvenile pricks speaks volumes to your willingness to pacify uncivil discourse to get your free operating system.

Linus himself is a complete prick that in any other walk of life would have gotten the crap pounded out of routinely with the way he addresses either gender on that developer list.

Comment

Yeah, she stepped down over a year ago. You're hearing about it now because it was a good time for the drama.

Oh and fart fart fart [sic]

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
                  Good grief, there are some really small minded misogynists who are really threatened by smart women in these forums.
                  I don't quite see the "threat" if the women quit because they don't like the confrontation or because they don't get special treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

There isn't a single man working on the Mach Kernel at NeXT and later, the Mach->XNU Kernel at Apple that wouldn't have been out on his ass talking smack to either his male or female colleagues. Making excuses for grown men acting like juvenile pricks speaks volumes to your willingness to pacify uncivil discourse to get your free operating system.

Linus himself is a complete prick that in any other walk of life would have gotten the crap pounded out of routinely with the way he addresses either gender on that developer list.
                    And yet you continue to make use of and benefit from that complete prick's work while you bluster here impotently, sucks to be you.​

Anyone in favour of a "Code of Conduct" should be vivisectioned immediately for the good of the human race.

The Truth has been spoken.

Comment

I think Ms. Sharp's decision and the blog post clearly show that she confused
                      her kernel contributor's activity (during which she was once or twice
                      "reprimanded" for not complying with the way of cooperation that ensures
                      quality of code in the kernel) with her feminist activity (during which she
                      acted to increase women's participation in FOS and to change
                      the "male-dominated culture" of it).

She finally recognized the reality of kernel development reflected in
                      *naturally* organized and expressive "male-dominated culture".
                      This is how it works, and even those *prominent* kernel contributors who
                      experienced their share of "reprimands" in the past admit that it was mostly
                      justified and required to keep the project intact and moving ahead.

The nature has shown its power in arbitrating human affairs.

But I have seen a comment elsewhere on this case like that:
                      "I'm just surprised that more of the companies that are employees of the main
                      developers haven't stepped up and tried to fix this, if for no other reason than
                      protecting their own backsides from legal action."

That kind of suggestion shows a lack of imagination about the implications of it.

This is talking about free and open software development project, with informal
                      and distributed participation across every imaginable boundary.

In general, there have already been calls against too much of corporate
                      influence on the direction of kernel project (that's why GNU Hurd kernel has
                      shown increased activity recently), but also other projects as well (GNOME,
                      which lost around 50% of its users to other DEs after introduction of version 3
                      of its product; systemd which is confronted with 50% rejection rate in
                      a statistically random Linux users poll after 5 years since its introduction
                      into Linux ecosystem; etc).

Let's hope that Ms. Sharp and others understand the above dynamics and do not
                      draw false conclusions on how to rectify "nature's injustice".

jb

Comment

Working...
                      X