No announcement yet.

Sarah Sharp Steps Down As Linux Kernel Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@laceration: Clever, high performing men will be more than capable to "cope with the burden of having to be a little nicer". The only men in danger are those who don't offer a lot of competence over being aggressive and rude.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
      Gotta admit, I am surprised at some of the comments here, although maybe I shouldn't be. This isn't the first time I have heard about the toxic community there, and specifically about Linus. Not even close to the first time, and not just from her. As for the criticism, she is not referring to someone criticising her work, but rather HER. Swearing, calling her t b---ch, etc, etc, etc. People here who are basically saying she "can't take the heat, and should get out" (liberal paraphrase) are missing the point I think. This isn't about her being a woman. It is about getting talented people to work on the kernel. Sure, its fine now I suppose. But stay like this and it will change. This is a sad thing to say.

The funny thing is, I almost didn't write this because I kind of assume someone here will in turn flame me now. Doesn't make any sense if you step back and think about it.

It's not a toxic community unless you believe the twaddle that "masculinity" is toxic. It doesn't make ANY sense if you step back and think about what you just said and own that there's going to be differences in approach between a male and a female, even in the LKML space. The problem begins when you *insist* that something is "better" or "nicer" when the other is working- you're going to be treated as the rude boor she got treated like. Pure and simple. And if you think otherwise on that, you should realize what "human nature" entails and realize that if your thinking runs counter to that, it's just not going to work and end up with things like this happening...OFTEN.

Comment

I hate to see her step out, I think that's the wrong decision to make. It is a man's world out there, and it is unfortunate that she ultimately decided she wouldn't deal with it anymore. The most inspiring women in history got there because they wouldn't step out. It's really hard for a few women to change the reality of things, but many woman can and a few women can lead them there.

Comment

IT teams have always been a place for males with hygienic and social issues. Live with it or leave, Princess.

Comment

Good grief, there are some really small minded misogynists who are really threatened by smart women in these forums.

Comment

So Mesa has got one more dev. good news imho.

And lets be honest, linux kernel is pretty much an old mens club.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                Thanks a pantload Linus. You're turning out to be the Steve Jobs of Linux. Brilliant mind. Radically toxic human being. I understand that you may feel you can't control everyone's conduct on the Linux Kernel forums. But you lead by example....and your example is deplorable.

Man up and admit you need help in controlling this crap. You can. You just won't. Another example of your flawed humanity and management skills. If you can't or won't....find someone who will.

Enough is enough, Linus. Crap or get off the pot and let someone who has the cahones to step in and drain the swamp. And if supposedly "brilliant minds" don't like this and want to leave the Linux Kernel world......well....politely show them the door. The world is CHOCK FULL of brilliant minds and developers. They are a dime a dozen. But you'll never know it because they don't EVEN want to get near the toxic swamp that is Linux development.

Once again, Linus.....man up and clean your house. But first....clean yourself up.
                Is this post intended to be serious or ironic/sarcastic/funny? Your choice of words is even more drastic than what you are criticizing Linus for.

Comment

Would we even care if it was a guy? I'm pretty sure there's been loads of male programmers who have stepped out of kernel development because they didn't like the environment but we can't really name a single one. And the kernel have lived on.

Also, management by perkele.

Comment

People talk, interact criticize, and feelings get hurt. That's the way it is. This story reminded me of an article I read a few days back : http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...n-mind/399356/

One of my high school teachers imprinted these words into my brain : life isn't fair, deal with it... Living by this helps me quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by trethlyn View Post
                      Yikes, this really sucks. I'm not a Kernel Developer, so I want to hold back any judgement but this person is giving bad press about a community that should be accepting and open.
                      She's stating the obvious history of the Linux Kernel Community. It is full of immature, misogynistic a-holes who have never been professional in their communications. If it weren't for the billions of corporate dollars invested in it the Linux Operating system it would have died 20 years ago.
                      Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 05 October 2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X