AMD Dismisses Another 5% Of Its Workforce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akincer View Post

The heat issue happened literally immediately after I did a hard upgrade of Ubuntu that also included the latest Catalyst that no longer supported my (1 year old) laptop. No upgrade since has fixed the heat issue. Honestly at this point I'm past giving a crap about it. I haven't even turned the laptop on in months. Maybe I'll install the latest Ubuntu when it comes out for giggles and see if it fixes it. Otherwise, I'm just not interested in taking it apart to fix it. But you might be right.
    It's far more likely you jarred it in some way during that time period that unseated the heatsink. Take it apart and clean it and reseat the heatsink. There is no use at all in blaming AMD when you are unwilling to try the most likely fix. I do it all the time for $90. Offer someone you know can do it some money. It probably won't be wasted.

EDIT: It's not as common as it used to be, pretty much every heatsink is mounted on 4 holes now, but not long ago they were mounted on 2 holes and it happened a lot more often. It still happens, you just have to remove the heatsink then clean it and apply new thermal compound and then remount it.
    Last edited by duby229; 04 October 2015, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X