X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
    And you're welcome to your opinion, but sadly that's all it is, there's a gazillion people who disagree with you. I know a fair number of enterprise developers who would love to argue the "especially not with servers" point. Outside of forum zealotry, actual professionals who use these tools on a daily basis know that their is no one platform to cover everything, it doesn't exist.
    I have yet to meet a professional who is proficient in all the tools available so I think that can be a very foolish attitude. I have however seen systems break apart because people insisted on using technology they don't fully understood. Elasticsearch is a fine example, I very often see absurd setups that then don't perform. Of course the zealotry is often counter productive, but you'll also see that. Professional after all only means you do it for a living.

Leave a comment:

• TiberiusDuval
    replied
    Originally posted by edmon View Post

Despite its name, NT had very little in common with OS/2 as it existed at the time (that is, OS/2 1.x) in terms of design or source code.

Read little more than just heading.
    I recall having read that NT had roots in DEC's VMS used in VAX-series. At least main designer came from VMS project.

Leave a comment:

• david_lynch
    replied
    Originally posted by signals View Post

That may have helped corporate Linux adoption more than you think. The work they did to get Linux running on their hypervisor allows us to deploy Linux-based solutions to sites that are already running a Hyper-V stack. Without the effort they put in to getting Linux to run in their virtual environment, those would have ended up being Windows-based deployments.

Actually, I suspect the deployments would have merely gone to any of the many excellent linux-based cloud services. The only one who loses, otherwise, is microsoft. Linux doesn't need microsoft, but microsoft desperately needs to try and poach some of the linux cloud business in order to stay afloat. By hitching themselves to Linux rising star, they hope to remain relevant. The fact is, microsoft isn't doing this to help Linux. They are doing it to stay alive.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    Microsoft's bread and butter remains exchange, outlook, office, and windows. Windows Server/MSSQL still remains a mainstay of my day to day corporate IT work. That doesn't look to change any time soon. Linux still hasn't got a Microsoft SQL Server implementation and until it does it won't be used by many companies. We still can't replace the Windows server stack in many environments because of a lack of software on Linux. I know that a lot of people would argue for mysql/alternatives and they are great alternatives. But companies don't want to change from what they know, and it's actually the client apps on Windows that would need updating to let Linux in on the server side.
    Won't happen any time soon.

Projects like Samba 4 and Openchange are awesome. It's unfortunate that Openchange can't be managed by the Exchange Management Console, but Samba 4 has done an insanely cool job. Personally I want to see the Windows Remote Server Admin tools running on ReactOS with an RDP Server/Client as well. We would seriously consider installing ReactOS for management + Linux DCs on Virtual hosts at some of our clients if that was available.

I think Linux needs to focus on individual markets, eg take on Office with Open Office, take on gaming with SteamOS/SteamBox/Steam, take on Flight simulator market by getting support for all the new/old peripherals and getting the engines ported/supported via emulation. As each market falls to Linux it snowballs other markets.

I think pgsql scales as well as sqlserver, possibly even Oracle, at this point but I've not seen updates about that for a few years.

Leave a comment:

• toyotabedzrock
    replied
    Try reading the documentation for using a MS server OS for any type of networking and you will understand why they are using Linux. After killing off ISA server they renamed every network related term and went about ensuring no one could ever not pay MS for every configuration change needed.

Leave a comment:

• gigaplex
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Agreed. It's pretty sad that a company as big as MS that has done everything in it's power to eliminate competition can't develop something good enough for their own servers. That's like Ford designing a car with a Toyota engine in it - doesn't mean the product will be bad but it's a bit hypocritical.
    This isn't for their servers. This is for their network switches.

Leave a comment:

• david_lynch
    replied

so, this is where NT came from..
    No, "NT" was merely a amateurish attempt to copy VMS, not unix.

Leave a comment:

• jbysmith
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    learn to read. he didn't say that there is such platform, he just said that windows is bad for everything.
    If you had an actual clue about what enterprises actually use and such, you'll know that "Windows is bad for everything" is nothing more than a sales pitch from a competitor whose only selling point is badmouthing the competition. Seeing as there's an incredible amount of people and corporations using it daily, sounds like just a load of the usual anti M$ crap that's been parroted time and time again.
    gazillions disagree with "Microsoft would be a lot more productive and earn much more money switching to Linux" ? what are you smoking? gazillions do not care about productiveness of ms.
    You're obviously quoting the wrong person because I didn't even say that. But that idiocy aside, I'm sure gazillions do care about their own productivity, hence their choices in what they use.

lol, ms troll detected. microsoft is sponsor of biggest patent trolls.
    Lol FUD slinging troll detected. Learn to Google and see who the other patent trolls are.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied

Despite its name, NT had very little in common with OS/2 as it existed at the time (that is, OS/2 1.x) in terms of design or source code.

Read little more than just heading.
    Yeah, it was the Microsoft OS/2, but not based on IBM OS/2.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    And you're welcome to your opinion, but sadly that's all it is, there's a gazillion people who disagree with you. I know a fair number of enterprise developers who would love to argue the "especially not with servers" point.
    learn to read. he didn't say that there is such platform, he just said that windows is bad for everything.
    Outside of forum zealotry, actual professionals who use these tools on a daily basis know that their is no one platform to cover everything, it doesn't exist.
    gazillions disagree with "Microsoft would be a lot more productive and earn much more money switching to Linux" ? what are you smoking? gazillions do not care about productiveness of ms.
    FUD at it's finest, "how long" and maybes is cute. Meanwhile other companies are actually suing each other over software infringements, and shockingly Microsoft isn't one of them. Had to check my calendar and make sure it wasn't still 1995. Companies change, Microsoft has dramatically improved, other companies dramatically worsen, such as Google for example.
    lol, ms troll detected. microsoft is sponsor of biggest patent trolls.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X