No announcement yet.

Azure Cloud Switch: Microsoft's Own Linux Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like previous microsoft forays into linux, this is something which does not help linux in any sense of the word. I remember back when microsoft submitted some kernel patches, and people made a big deal of it - but their contribution was not to add cool features or improve performance - it was to facilitate capturing linux users on microsoft's "me-too" cloud service. Big yawn. In this case, they continue to contribute nothing of value, but merely benefit from the hard work of the linux community while giving back nothing. It's a great bargain for the wealthy monopolist, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
      And how long before they start to threaten lawsuits over alleged software infringements and so on and bully everyone else into quitting?
      Microsoft will still eliminate their competition. And probably slip their ultimate spyware into every Linux computer as well.
      Microsofts partners have always been dragging their feet when it comes to Linux but just watch what happens now. And I will bet they
      will be covered by vague copyrights, etc and used to kill off every other distro except Ubuntu, who is being run by former MS execs anyway.
      They already tried this via SCO. Remember that? Yeah, didn't work out so well for the proxy and MS isn't stupid enough to try their hand at it either. The Feds would be all over them in a heartbeat for trying to squash a viable competitor.

Honestly I expect that if Windows 10 fails, embracing open source is not out of the realm of possibility. The future is moving towards a direction where the OS is less and less important. Sooner or later the ROI on Windows won't be there anymore under the current in-house model nor will any lock-in be relevant any longer. It may linger around for a long time for specialized applications, but for generalized computing not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
        Like previous microsoft forays into linux, this is something which does not help linux in any sense of the word. I remember back when microsoft submitted some kernel patches, and people made a big deal of it - but their contribution was not to add cool features or improve performance - it was to facilitate capturing linux users on microsoft's "me-too" cloud service.
        That may have helped corporate Linux adoption more than you think. The work they did to get Linux running on their hypervisor allows us to deploy Linux-based solutions to sites that are already running a Hyper-V stack. Without the effort they put in to getting Linux to run in their virtual environment, those would have ended up being Windows-based deployments.

Comment

Don't they still use FreeBSD for Outlook since the days they bought Hotmail? I think they tried to replace FreeBSD with Windows Server but it didn't perform as good as with FreeBSD, yet they still tried to hide that fact when querying the servers directly after they rolled back.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Agreed. It's pretty sad that a company as big as MS that has done everything in it's power to eliminate competition can't develop something good enough for their own servers. That's like Ford designing a car with a Toyota engine in it - doesn't mean the product will be bad but it's a bit hypocritical.
            Totally off topic, but ford does have a few cars made and manufactured by mitsubishi. Ford Eclipse is one, also Plymouth Laser

Comment

Microsoft's bread and butter remains exchange, outlook, office, and windows. Windows Server/MSSQL still remains a mainstay of my day to day corporate IT work. That doesn't look to change any time soon. Linux still hasn't got a Microsoft SQL Server implementation and until it does it won't be used by many companies. We still can't replace the Windows server stack in many environments because of a lack of software on Linux. I know that a lot of people would argue for mysql/alternatives and they are great alternatives. But companies don't want to change from what they know, and it's actually the client apps on Windows that would need updating to let Linux in on the server side.
              Won't happen any time soon.

Projects like Samba 4 and Openchange are awesome. It's unfortunate that Openchange can't be managed by the Exchange Management Console, but Samba 4 has done an insanely cool job. Personally I want to see the Windows Remote Server Admin tools running on ReactOS with an RDP Server/Client as well. We would seriously consider installing ReactOS for management + Linux DCs on Virtual hosts at some of our clients if that was available.

I think Linux needs to focus on individual markets, eg take on Office with Open Office, take on gaming with SteamOS/SteamBox/Steam, take on Flight simulator market by getting support for all the new/old peripherals and getting the engines ported/supported via emulation. As each market falls to Linux it snowballs other markets.
              Last edited by DMJC; 18 September 2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Totally off topic, but ford does have a few cars made and manufactured by mitsubishi. Ford Eclipse is one, also Plymouth Laser
                Both of those are joint efforts of Chrysler and Mitsubishi, so, no Ford involved. Anyway many companies do joint efforts like that. Chrysler also merged with Fiat, Daimler, and I think Renault too. The point of my comment was 2 competing companies using resources from each other (since Ford and Toyota, to my knowledge, have no business ties).

Comment

Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
                  I wouldn't read too much into it, picking the right tool for the job and all that, doesn't mean anything beyond that. This isn't even the first time they dealt with *Nix based systems.. used to use Microsoft Xenix way back in the day myself.
                  so, this is where NT came from..
                  Last edited by edmon; 18 September 2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Agreed. It's pretty sad that a company as big as MS that has done everything in it's power to eliminate competition can't develop something good enough for their own servers. That's like Ford designing a car with a Toyota engine in it - doesn't mean the product will be bad but it's a bit hypocritical.
                    Almost every Ford since 2000 has engine designed by Yamaha...

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

so, this is where NT came from..
                      NT came from OS/2 Warp.

Comment

Working...
                      X