Azure Cloud Switch: Microsoft's Own Linux Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by signals View Post

That may have helped corporate Linux adoption more than you think. The work they did to get Linux running on their hypervisor allows us to deploy Linux-based solutions to sites that are already running a Hyper-V stack. Without the effort they put in to getting Linux to run in their virtual environment, those would have ended up being Windows-based deployments.

Actually, I suspect the deployments would have merely gone to any of the many excellent linux-based cloud services. The only one who loses, otherwise, is microsoft. Linux doesn't need microsoft, but microsoft desperately needs to try and poach some of the linux cloud business in order to stay afloat. By hitching themselves to Linux rising star, they hope to remain relevant. The fact is, microsoft isn't doing this to help Linux. They are doing it to stay alive.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

Despite its name, NT had very little in common with OS/2 as it existed at the time (that is, OS/2 1.x) in terms of design or source code.

Read little more than just heading.
      I recall having read that NT had roots in DEC's VMS used in VAX-series. At least main designer came from VMS project.

Comment

Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
        And you're welcome to your opinion, but sadly that's all it is, there's a gazillion people who disagree with you. I know a fair number of enterprise developers who would love to argue the "especially not with servers" point. Outside of forum zealotry, actual professionals who use these tools on a daily basis know that their is no one platform to cover everything, it doesn't exist.
        I have yet to meet a professional who is proficient in all the tools available so I think that can be a very foolish attitude. I have however seen systems break apart because people insisted on using technology they don't fully understood. Elasticsearch is a fine example, I very often see absurd setups that then don't perform. Of course the zealotry is often counter productive, but you'll also see that. Professional after all only means you do it for a living.

Comment

Working...
        X