Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azure Cloud Switch: Microsoft's Own Linux Platform

Phoronix: Azure Cloud Switch: Microsoft's Own Linux Platform

Microsoft has made public the fact they actually have their own Linux distribution... Azure Cloud Switch. They developed this Linux distribution to do networking within their Azure data centers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been expecting this for some time.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see MS Linux Server and desktop distros.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
      I've been expecting this for some time.
      I wouldn't be surprised to see MS Linux Server and desktop distros.
      I wouldn't read too much into it, picking the right tool for the job and all that, doesn't mean anything beyond that. This isn't even the first time they dealt with *Nix based systems.. used to use Microsoft Xenix way back in the day myself.

Comment

Management will burn them at the stake in a few short hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
          I wouldn't read too much into it, picking the right tool for the job and all that, doesn't mean anything beyond that.
          Even that is a big deal. There was a time, not too long ago, where Microsoft never would have used a Linux-based software stack, even if it was the right tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Even that is a big deal. There was a time, not too long ago, where Microsoft never would have used a Linux-based software stack, even if it was the right tool for the job.
            Agreed. It's pretty sad that a company as big as MS that has done everything in it's power to eliminate competition can't develop something good enough for their own servers. That's like Ford designing a car with a Toyota engine in it - doesn't mean the product will be bad but it's a bit hypocritical.

Comment

Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
              I wouldn't read too much into it, picking the right tool for the job and all that, doesn't mean anything beyond that. This isn't even the first time they dealt with *Nix based systems.. used to use Microsoft Xenix way back in the day myself.
              I would argue that Windows isn't the right tool for any job. Not even the desktop and especially not with servers. Microsoft would be a lot more productive and earn much more money switching to Linux.

Comment

And how long before they start to threaten lawsuits over alleged software infringements and so on and bully everyone else into quitting?
                Microsoft will still eliminate their competition. And probably slip their ultimate spyware into every Linux computer as well.
                Microsofts partners have always been dragging their feet when it comes to Linux but just watch what happens now. And I will bet they
                will be covered by vague copyrights, etc and used to kill off every other distro except Ubuntu, who is being run by former MS execs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
                  And how long before they start to threaten lawsuits over alleged software infringements and so on and bully everyone else into quitting?
                  Microsoft will still eliminate their competition. And probably slip their ultimate spyware into every Linux computer as well.
                  Microsofts partners have always been dragging their feet when it comes to Linux but just watch what happens now. And I will bet they
                  will be covered by vague copyrights, etc and used to kill off every other distro except Ubuntu, who is being run by former MS execs anyway.
                  Eh... for the time being, I don't expect that to happen. People like Linus Torvalds wouldn't allow such things to slip by so easily. Worst case scenario, the kernel gets forked and just drops everything MS implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    I would argue that Windows isn't the right tool for any job. Not even the desktop and especially not with servers. Microsoft would be a lot more productive and earn much more money switching to Linux.
                    And you're welcome to your opinion, but sadly that's all it is, there's a gazillion people who disagree with you. I know a fair number of enterprise developers who would love to argue the "especially not with servers" point. Outside of forum zealotry, actual professionals who use these tools on a daily basis know that their is no one platform to cover everything, it doesn't exist.

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
                    FUD at it's finest, "how long" and maybes is cute. Meanwhile other companies are actually suing each other over software infringements, and shockingly Microsoft isn't one of them. Had to check my calendar and make sure it wasn't still 1995. Companies change, Microsoft has dramatically improved, other companies dramatically worsen, such as Google for example.

My original point -- not everybody is selling an agenda and knows when to use the right tool for the job. Trying to preach to everybody that you only need one for everything is just absurd.
                    Last edited by jbysmith; 19 September 2015, 09:56 AM. Reason: Typomograffical errors.

Comment

Working...
                    X