The Outreach Program Still Aiming For Other Underrepresented Backgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Outreach Program Still Aiming For Other Underrepresented Backgrounds

Phoronix: The Outreach Program Still Aiming For Other Underrepresented Backgrounds

Jean-Fran?ois Fortin Tam has written a blog post about the GNOME Outreach program and how their cash flow problem last year came down to a business accounting mistake and how they're still looking to expand this program for getting women and other under-represented groups involved with free software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to hear they're pressing forward with this, I applaud them for their efforts to open up the FOSS community to people who might have otherwise not gotten involved.

Comment

There is one rather big underrepresented background in tech, "poor people".

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
        Don't forget about "people who have no interest in FOSS projects or anything IT related". I feel this is a very large and most underrepresented group. Perhaps with false promises, empty hype, astroturfing, and some good ole' predatory marketing, we can re-educate these people.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 14 September 2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Don't forget about "people who have no interest in FOSS projects or anything IT related". I feel this is a very large and most underrepresented group. Perhaps with false promises, empty hype, astroturfing, and some good ole' predatory marketing, we can re-educate these people.
          Actually, I think that would be a great idea. Let's teach people about the ideas of RMS (no, I'm not joking), let's make them interested in tech, so that they will apply it to their own lives, automate everything, share their knowledge and work, ease their own problems, and make a better world. Tech is cheap, versatile & hackable these days, there is no better moment than this, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
            Those people don't matter, just people with the right melanin levels or gender.

Because if we acknowledge them we have to realize it's a class issue and not a racism or sexism issue. Which is the last thing the upper middle class warriors want to happen.
            Last edited by peppercats; 14 September 2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

Those people don't matter, just people with the right melanin levels or gender.

Because if we acknowledge them we have to realize it's a class issue and not a racism or sexism issue. Which is the last thing the upper middle class warriors want to happen.
              That's exactly why SJWs promote what we should be concerned about, and not our actual increasing class problems, they use gender and race BECAUSE it obscures class conflict.

I'm beyond sick of their Bourgeois crap, promoting ethnocentric multi-nationalism as some sort of equality program.

O, and to top it off, we should also understand this infection of the free software movement for what it is. This is the gnome foundation "buying-in" the academic non-profit-complex, as a way to ensure their own existence. This isn't about anything except the fact that money comes from these special interests, so a gnome foundation that plays ball gets funded.

Last edited by techzilla; 14 September 2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

It is a fact that women and minorities are repressed. There is nothing wrong with this program. If it helps them get funding then that's a good thing. Funding means people are recognizing the problem. Most of you are white men and I'm sure every single one of you has heard slanderous jokes about women and minorities. Peoples jokes reflect their true opinions. All the while they two-face by denying it and claim that nothing is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  It is a fact that women and minorities are repressed. There is nothing wrong with this program. If it helps them get funding then that's a good thing. Funding means people are recognizing the problem. Most of you are white men and I'm sure every single one of you has heard slanderous jokes about women and minorities. Peoples jokes reflect their true opinions. All the while they two-face by denying it and claim that nothing is wrong.
                  You didn't understand peppercats' , or techzilla', or my point. We can/could prioritize... and in this liberal society, priorities are all messed up. See, for example, the refugees mess. How about western powers AVOID WAR instead of making them, generating more misery and destruction? How about western govts. stop being hypocrites and help people instead of killing them? Same for gender/sex and poverty: avoid spreading hate, and fix your most basic problems first... It's true, we shouldn't exclude one group just because another group is being treated worse, but seriously, let's prioritize our actions. It's not like the west doesn't have poor people who don't even eat well, or workers being mistreated and exploited to death for the profit of their corporate owners.
                  Last edited by asdfblah; 14 September 2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Oh that's crap. As a white man if you don't like your job you can find another one. That's not true for a lot of women. I'm only liberal to a degree, I usually consider myself conservative. There are liberal circumstances though, like when employing people look for the most qualified. Conservatives tend to stick to what they've been doing where liberals tend to try new things. In this case hring the most qualified individual, especially if it's a women. This is a new age, women don't have to be homemakers. Conservatives can be more liberal where it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X