Game Developer Who Ported To Linux: "I Don't Think It Was Worthwhile"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    According to Wikipedia in 2008 they had 135 employees, but let's say it's 150 (despite me only counting about 61 on their website picture of their employees) and the average salary for that city is $75,000-$85,000 which is $937,500 to $1,062,500 per month.

And I only included the employee costs, not even the hiring or building costs.
    I don't mind you hypothesizing scenarios based on what information you can gather - however let me hypothesize aswell.

Human Resources, Marketing, Leadership, Building Costs / Facility Rental Costs, Hiring Manager, Accounting, Sales, Affiliate Relations, Customer Service, Artwork, 3D Modeling, etc... and I'm sure many other areas are completely 100% agnostic to OS-Specific Development Teams (Not to mention that the Mac & Linux team are likely the same 1 team.)

Next, on to your salary estimates - that estimation of 75k-85k is fair considering their Headquarters is located in Irvine, California.

However what is also likely is that their staff is also comprised of incompetence - why do I hypothesize this? Well, one reason is that Irvine California is a city overflowing with students, no doubt they likely have found this to be a rich resource they benefit from at their present location. Last time I stayed in Irvine California "students everwhere, as far as the eye could see."

But the problem with hiring Students and Interns is that their skillsets and knowledge have not been refined and tested out in the practical real world.

In this day and age sure, some people can barely comprehend the difference between a JPG and a GIF, my point is incompetence is the problem, and it is ignorance to blame their lack of performance on porting to Linux. But hey, some people kick their dogs and beat their wives when they have a bad day at work - this is a ego defense mechanism - and it doesn't surprise me that a ignorant person would make remarks about something they don't understand.

When Gamers transcend to Steam Machine consoles I'll be laughing because I know the sales figures will widen out for sure. But hey, some people whine and kick - but someone at Obsidian was smart enough to know Linux & SteamOS would be a huge success.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      In this day and age sure, some people can barely comprehend the difference between a JPG and a GIF, my point is incompetence is the problem, and it is ignorance to blame their lack of performance on porting to Linux.
      Ah. That would also explain why so many members on the team were so young.

Comment

Working...
      X