No announcement yet.

I No Longer Have Any Trust In The Nest Protect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vodka fixes a lot of things. As this post demonstrates, it also fixes false fire alarms.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      how often do you actually change your central heating settings anyway?
      Well, in Louisiana it's twice a year--once when it gets above 80, and again when it gets below 70. Down there you don't use central heat for at least half the year, and when you turn it back on there's bound to be dust on the coils. Always sets off the smoke-detectors in my parents house, but only lasts a few minutes.

Comment

This particular Nest unit was bought just earlier this year and was going insane in the middle of the night.

I think that's exactly what these boxes are supposed to do. The're programmed to buffer any alarm during the day and replay it during the night because there's the highest probability to recognize it.
        This clearly shows how technically advanced these Nest units are.

Comment

You just pull the battery out. Problem solved. Mine did this exact same thing. Less frustrating because I only had one instead of 10. Pulled the plug, pulled the battery. Put them back in and plugged it in again. No problem since then. No sledgehammer needed.
          Last edited by Doodzor; 16 August 2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
            You just pull the battery out. Problem solved. Mine did this exact same thing. Less frustrating because I only had one instead of 10. Pulled the plug, pulled the battery. Put them back in and plugged it in again. No problem since then. No sledgehammer needed.
            Where is the battery compartment/slot? This is news to me, as far as I knew, they aren't replaceable, etc.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sledgehammer. Meh. Don't you have a gun or something. Its the US FFS. :P

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Sledgehammer.:P
                BEWARE: lots of smoke detectors contain radioactive material even today.
                These are extremely safe, unless you break their seal e.g. by sledgehammering it and inhale the dust containing its radioactive isotope.
                So please properly make sure you properly get rid of your smoke detector, but never ever break it with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Where is the battery compartment/slot? This is news to me, as far as I knew, they aren't replaceable, etc.
                  They aren't meant to be, but you can get to them with a screwdriver.

Comment

Originally posted by bochs View Post

BEWARE: lots of smoke detectors contain radioactive material even today.
                    These are extremely safe, unless you break their seal e.g. by sledgehammering it and inhale the dust containing its radioactive isotope.
                    So please properly make sure you properly get rid of your smoke detector, but never ever break it with a hammer.
                    More radioactive than a banana or three?

Comment

I suppose failing the way it did is preferable to failing to detect actual smoke.

Comment

Working...
                      X