No announcement yet.

Facebook Will Soon Roll Out Btrfs On Production Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very sad if they abandon btrfs instead of doubling down and work with the devs to fix the issues. Today btrfs is already so much better than back when jolla phone launched.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      Very sad if they abandon btrfs instead of doubling down and work with the devs to fix the issues. Today btrfs is already so much better than back when jolla phone launched.
      I'm afraid they don't have enough resources for something like that, considering Facebook had to basically hire a team of developers to make Btrfs usable for them and only now they might be getting closer to actually using it in production.

Add to that the fact that the need to work with really old kernels due to the sorry state of the Android kernel trees (which they have to use so that they can make use of the binary only Android drivers via libhybris). So even if upstream Btrfs might be better than the old version they are using, the can't really upgrade to it without backporting a massive amount of patches to the outdated Android kernel they are using.

Also keep in mind that LVM and "classical" filesystems (EXT4/XFS) are not standing still and are getting significant improvements, like LVM thin pools, LVM RAID or the recently added LVM cache. And all that while still being much more stable and predictable than Btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        I have do that's: or don't found the bug, or when fix one bug later do another one, always say no more than: try more recent kernel, I'm on git (bad for production system), wait the next version, ...
        Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Working...
        X