Systemd Is Launching Its Own Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post

Only to get this train wreck of a discussion going again, the better question here is Who the fuck even visists systemd.conf? For those who actually would like to go, and I agree that it is not going to be that many people, will the cost for attending play a role.

And since when has participating in open source projects become expensive? Who will decide who gets to speak and who is supposed to only listen? Those who cannot attend will certainly have no say at all.
    The conference website clearly states that the 96€euro are gladly sponsored for community contributors. But please bear in mind that the conference needs to pay for catering, rooms, evening events, organizers, inviting speakers, and more. 96euro€ (including VAT) doesn't seem overly expensive for 3 full days covered. But then again, really just drop an email as described on the website, if you're a community contributor, and I bet you will get help.

Comment

Originally posted by jb.1234abcd View Post
      Distrowatch.com systemd poll results (Jul 2015)

I use systemd and like it: 787 (30%)
      I use systemd and dislike it: 318 (12%)
      I am not using systemd and plan to use it: 111 (4%)
      I am not using systemd and plan to avoid it: 1170 (44%)
      Other: 260 (10%)

Well, that's 12% + 44% = 56% against systemd.
      It's time to drop that trash ...
      Truly astonished by the amount of idiots that hate systemd and are "so much better" and know better yet not a single replacement has found its way in a big distro.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdhrm View Post

The conference website clearly states that the 96€euro are gladly sponsored for community contributors. But please bear in mind that the conference needs to pay for catering, rooms, evening events, organizers, inviting speakers, and more. 96euro€ (including VAT) doesn't seem overly expensive for 3 full days covered.
        They spent a lot on branded barf bags alone.

Comment

Perhaps there should be a barrier to posting anti-systemd (or anti-anything) troll posts by the poster having to show that they actually know what the target is, does and doesn't do, then perhaps we might get a better discussion of the pros and cons. we can but dream......

Comment

Originally posted by jb.1234abcd View Post
            Distrowatch.com systemd poll results (Jul 2015)

Well, that's 12% + 44% = 56% against systemd.
            NACK. I'm using systemd and I like it. And I haven't voted on this garbage "distrowatch" resource. So I have a question why you think it is representative at all. And even then, it is really up to packages maintainers and system devs to decide what to do in their systems. Feel free to fork and do whatever crap you want, in ways you see it fits, etc. If there are really 44% of users unhappy - you'll get a lot of allies and you can easily beat other distros to the dust. But I suspect it was 44% of loud mouths who are not willing to do any jobs themselves, yet trying to order others how to do jobs right. Not going to work this way.

Speaking for myself, I really appreciate rich process management features of systemd (yes, it can set priority, real-time scheduler, limits, seccomp filter of syscalls, etc). As well as ability to deal with various process failures in ways I need to mitigate issues in automatic systems running without human supervision and it even able to provide watchdog facilities to critical processes. In fact RH did a good job. And those like you should shut up unless you can offer something comparable to those who actually builds systems. But, sure, you fail to see any use cases beyound your dumb ego and your silly PC near you. However, since debian switched to systemd I got to love using it for embedded designs. It really saves me a lot of time on custom low level system coding. I do think it is cool.
            Last edited by SystemCrasher; 30 July 2015, 06:19 PM.

Comment

L says you can replace Conference-D with whatever you want though. It's modular. All swag at Conference-D goes into your Bag-D but you can't see inside it without using Bag-Ctl. Once people get used to it... attendance will surely increase.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                And those like you should shut up unless you can offer something comparable to those who actually builds systems.
                I think, part of the anti-systemd crowd's problem is exactly that:

They did write code to do something comparable to all you cite: "set priority, real-time scheduler, limits, seccomp filter of syscalls {...} deal with various process failures in ways {needed} to mitigate issues in automatic systems running without human supervision {...} provide watchdog facilities to critical processes"

...well, at least as long as for "write code" you accept the definition "wrote a horrible non-portable unread mess of non standard shell code that is going to break as soon as someone either tries to fix a bit somewhere or use it as a template to build a new thing or port or move it to a different installation of even the same distro".

They mostly cry because their mess doesn't work anymore and they need to re-write it yet again.

The fact that, with modern software like systemD's PID1, upstart, etc. you can do all the same with simple declarative text file, that's easy to read/understand/edit (the whole point of being declarative text) and that it's possible to port it and move it around (systemd runs BOTH on my openSUSE powered desk- / and lap-tops AND on my SailfishOS powered phone) ... is completely lost on them.

Meanwhile...

In fact RH did a good job.
                ...distributions do appreciate to finally have a solution that cover their needs and is getting standardised accross distros.

RH use it and did a good job. As did openSUSE and SailfishOS, as I've mentionned above. It works, it's becoming a standard.

I'm happy that it's there, even if it means that I need to rewrite part of my own ugly shell code. At least the result of the rewrite is going to be much cleaner and portable.

However, since debian switched to systemd I got to love using it for embedded designs. It really saves me a lot of time on custom low level system coding. I do think it is cool.
                The ability to make a "service" out of something which wasn't necessarily mean to (like a perl script) is a nice feature, for exemple.

Comment

Working...
                X