Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Seems To Finally Have Failed Me On A Production System

Phoronix: Btrfs Seems To Finally Have Failed Me On A Production System

In the Phoronix server room for our Linux hardware testing and the LinuxBenchmarking.com daily performance tracker there are 16 of the 56 systems running Btrfs as their root file-system. While those systems have been chugging along for months and many of them running the latest daily Git kernel, I've finally had one of the systems run into some apparent Btrfs file-system issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Issues like this, help ironing the system. Please Michael, submit a bug report with all information you can. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Issues like this, help ironing the system. Please Michael, submit a bug report with all information you can. Thanks.
      This is my form of bug report, at least until there's better support behind LinuxBenchmarking.com. I'm already struggling as it is to find the time to look into these 56+ systems in the basement server room whenever problems arise (plus the dozen or so systems in other rooms) while it's losing me money as it is in the electrical costs, etc, and is just used as a PTS/Phoromatic showcase for now, until either there's corporate sponsorship, shoving ads there or a pay wall, or whatever backing to make it more than just a performance tracker demo.

I'll likely try booting a live USB after writing my morning articles to recover the Btrfs file-system and if that doesn't work chances are will just be wiping the disk and reloading it, since that's the most time efficient way to handle it, and doubt by that time there would be any response to a kernel bug report in that few hour span on the weekend.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Writing an article is _not_ a bug report. Raise one properly and help get _your_ problem sorted

Comment

Could also be a failing SSD of course: Check SMART data and try mounting the filesystem(s) on the drive *before* pointing btrfs-tools at the suspect partition?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Writing an article is _not_ a bug report. Raise one properly and help get _your_ problem sorted
            As outlined in the earlier post, it's what I do now and - given current circumstances and resources - it's much quicker and easier just wiping the disk and reloading the OS.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As outlined in the earlier post, it's what I do now and - given current circumstances and resources - it's much quicker and easier just wiping the disk and reloading the OS.
              You can use btrfs-image to create an image of the filesystem with zeroed data that you can include in a bug report.

Comment

Seems like the deadlock issue that hit kernel 3.19 stable release users:

Try use btrfs-zero-log with a older/higher kernel.

One of my Fedora box got hit by this, 4 others remained fine before patched kernel push to update repo.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000
                  Hahaha btrfs is the future they say... hahahahahaha losers all the way. When was the last time ntfs did something like this? 30 years ago? Who are the amateurs working on btrfs, so I know never to use any of their products.
                  NTFS has disk errors all the time, and many times Windows cannot repair the files that are damaged so you are forced to reinstall the entire operating system just to repair a few files.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

NTFS has disk errors all the time, and many times Windows cannot repair the files that are damaged so you are forced to reinstall the entire operating system just to repair a few files.
                    That was 20 years ago. Not since then...

Comment

Working...
                    X